Golden Puppy Owner - H E L P !

gklee

I’ve got a 3mo Golden at home (cute snd quirky as heck). He has been around now for over a month. Got these main problems we need to fix:
  1. The biting. Just biting ANYTHING (furniture, cables, shoes, carpets, doors, assorted human limbs) within range all day long. The worst is when he bites people, you can’t pet him for more than 5 seconds without getting bitten (this complicates grooming so much).
  2. Obsession with wrecking anything plant-related. Go outside for potty, left unsupervised for under a minute and another plant is dead.
  3. Overall just suffering frequent setbacks with potty training.
Any advice or references to whatever source of information might be helpful are welcome. My patience definitely ran out today but, whatever works I’m willing to put in as much time and effort as needed before this gets worse and I’ve got a larger dog misbehaving around the house.

@gklee The first thing to keep in mind is that your puppy is a baby. 3 months old is still a really baby dog. Just like with a human baby, they take a lot of training and attention. Also like a baby, he needs a lot of naps. My lab is 11 months old now but when she was 3 months, I put her down for a nap every 2 hours or so. Even now, I make sure she spends 2 hours napping in her crate every afternoon. Getting enough sleep makes her a much happier dog.

Second, to help with the biting, he needs a lot of socializing. It's from other dogs the he'll learn how to chill out with the biting. Join a training class with puppies the same age. If you're near a Petco, they usually have a puppy playtime every weekend. Puppy playtime is overseen by a training professional to keep things from getting out of hand. I highly recommend it.

Third, exercise is important but, again, remember that he's just a baby. Puppies shouldn't walk more than 5 minutes per month of age. So 15 minutes for your little guy. Otherwise, tire him out with toys and training.

Fourth, leaving him unsupervised for any amount of time at this point is going to result in things you don't want happening, like killing plants. If he's awake and not in a crate or exercise pen, he needs to be supervised so he doesn't get into trouble. If he starts heading toward a plant, redirect him to something appropriate. Ditto with biting. Redirect him to an appropriate thing to chew on.

Finally, when it comes to potty training, at 3 months old your best bet is to take him out to potty every 2 hours. Get him outside to pee before he realizes he needs to go so he doesn't pee inside. I recommend starting bell training now, too. Get a set of bells to hang near the door. Every time you take him out to potty, ring the bells and say "outside." As he gets older, you can take him out less frequently and he'll learn to ring the bells when he needs to go out.

Good luck! Puppies are so cute but also so much work. You can do this.

@panchocisco Thanks! That’s really thorough advice. When it comes to redirecting, how do I know if it is working? Been trying for a whole month now and I feel he has made no progress. Also, with crate training, how could I make it super enticing to get in there during the day? He only uses it at night and is not very happy about it Tbh.

@gklee I don't mean this to sound flippant but you'll know it's working when it works. Consistency is so important. Just keep consistently redirecting to appropriate activities and chewing objects and eventually he'll get it. It could take a long time or it could get through to him quickly. Here's an example that's fresh in my mind because it literally just happened today. We put Zora, my lab, into her crate for five minute time outs when she's getting out of control. Today, for the first time ever, when she was getting really hyper, she barked in my husband's face and then went to her crate. She knew she was getting crazy and was telling us she needed a time out to calm down. We were astonished because she's never done that before and it's been many months that we've been using time outs.

For crate time, we use a combination of letting her cry it out and making it special. I don't put toys in there with her because she destroys them and really needs to be supervised to make sure she doesn't eat anything she shouldn't. Instead, there are high value treats that we use only for when she goes into her crate. Sometimes it's a little piece of hot dog, sometimes it's a treat from her Bark Box or a piece of cheese. It's just always something she really wants and doesn't ever get unless she's in her "room." There's a cover over her crate to make it cozy and den-like and so she doesn't get distracted and feel fomo. When she was little like your guy, we let her cry it out when she didn't want to be in there. She soon tired herself out and fell asleep. Now she doesn't cry anymore except in the morning if we don't get up early enough.

@gklee Exercise, and an abundance of it. Walks, runs, parks, or just some intense playing.

For my husky he just needed to get it all out, then they are more receptive to training.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Would you say this goes on into adulthood? I’ll definitely take you up on this, walks are (almost) a daily occurrence. Also, are there any toys or games you’d recommend that don’t encourage even more people-biting?

@gklee Puppies are kids, feed them on time, and keep them entertained, and keep them sleepy lol

My dog was a nipper so whenever he got me I'd act like he really hurt me and be super dramatic, he stopped pretty quick.

@gklee Exercise, and an abundance of it. Walks, runs, parks, or just some intense playing.

For my husky he just needed to get it all out, then they are more receptive to training.

Back