Gear recommendations

nyh

About 8 months in, and the stuff petsmart “gifts” you when you do academy isn’t really doing it. I’d love a 5 in 1, mostly to have something smaller in my hands. The corded andis 2 speed feels so huge when trying to do faces and sanis, especially on smaller dogs, and tripping over the cord and dropping it has now costed me 4 blades. The andis scissors/shears just feel cheap. I know I can sharpen them but after I bought a pair master grooming thinners and love them I just want all the andis stuff as a backup when I need to get better stuff sharpened. So looking to see what people have had success with. Optimally I’d love a pair of curved shears for the right and left hand so I can get faces more consistently even. And some sort of wireless 5 in one. Preferable up to a #7 blade length. Chunkers and blenders aren’t in the budget right now but eventually they will be so I’d love to hear what’s good too. Thanks!

@nyh I love my Bravura. I had an Arco but it just wasn't for me. My coworker prefers her Creativa because of the power button placement, she's a lefty though. Or she holds clippers different or something idk haha. The power button may be annoying on the bravs but I like them.

All of my favorite shears are from Affordable Grooming Shears. I have the 9" anti fatigue straights, various MAKO chunkers, Asian fusion curves, hard curves. AGS also makes wide blades which are widely recommended. They also have awesome sales on Black Friday... And whatever other giant sale days there are hahaha

My favorite thinners

Annnnd I also love my Kenchii Love straights but they have been nothing but fucking trouble for me every time I need them sharpened. My coworkers also ordered a full left handed set of Loves and she's spent twice as much on repairs and sharpening for no apparent reason. My other coworker ordered a pair of Spider straights and she's had nothing but trouble. If you order Kenchii, get them directly from the company and read their warranty and request a replacement if you get a janky set! I find my Loves are better for harsh coats, and I prefer my AGS anti fatigues for softer coats. Always fun to have choices 🙂

@nyh A bravura is 9,10,15,30,40. If your looking for a 5 in 1 that has blade attachments also artero spectra ROCKS. The blades last 3x as long as the wahl. Plus they make a3,4,5,7 blade attachments you can get. Just wish they made metal comb attachments instead of plastic

@preng A girl in my salon let me use her Scorpions and they are amazing. I’d love some when I have the cash, because all I’ve heard is you really get what you pay for, but damn do you pay a lot lol.

@nyh Always set aside a portion of your money for tools and maintaining them on this career. The better the tools, the faster you work and the higher the quality.

I started at petsmart too! :)

11 years of being a groomer and I’m still buying new tools lol. My next purchase will be a set of wide guard combs and blades from Zolitta.

@preng I’ve been doing that. Replacing all the clipper blades I broke bas taken a real tole lol. Still not making much because I’m not commission yet, but the second I am and can do more than pay the bills I’m going to start getting all the stuff that’ll help me get faster

@nyh I have a Wahl arco 5-in-1 (9, 10, 15, 30, 40) and I love it. It comes with 2 rechargeable batteries.

Unfortunately my shears are from a guy who makes his shears locally and as far as I know he does not send his shears out or have a website or anything. I know people recommend Affordable Grooming Shears as well as Fresh Groom Shears (Fresh Groom also has a trade in program).

Back