Fussy eating dog

drwhen

Hey, hope everyone's having a dogtastic day! My dog is really fussy about food and it may have been my fault, because I added treats or dairy to his kibble whenever he wouldn't feel like eating, which grew frequent. But now I've got it under control, after several switches I found the right kibble, and found out he's ok with big kibble bites (Hill's Oral Care).

The issue remains that he isn't very motivated to eat. If I leave him with kibble on the days I have to go to the office early, he won't eat it all day. He goes on hunger strike! When I am around, it takes him a long time to build up the interest in the kibble, and it needs to come when nothing else is going on. Sometimes he still won't eat, until I make it interesting (kong, slow feeder, add a few treats). So I suppose I have a few questions:

a) how do I condition him to want to eat, no matter what (even if there are no treats)

b) how do I work towards ensuring that he eats when I'm gone

c) eventually I'd like to try other foods with him, like vegetables, pumpkin puree (which he hates), how do I work towards him becoming more adventurous with what he eats?

Back