Found puppy in a highway

I just meant in an emergency. Could blend it up if need be. Some areas
Don’t have late night grocery stores. So just meant if it’s an emergency

@bella7 Do not be surprised if pup has the runs. They do that when switching foods fast. Pup is fine as long as it doesn't become worse or last more than 3 days. You can also mix in steamed pumpkin in very small amounts to help prevent that.

@chaorabite Yes , depending how young it may still be on puppy gruel: really water down the rice and chicken and let soften. Traditional mixture would be: dry puppy food mixed 1:3 with water, milk or formula or using canned puppy food mixed 2: 1 with water, milk or formula.

@masquerading Best not to advise giving cows milk to puppies as many dogs lack the enzymes to digest it properly and can get stomach problems. Not lethal, but enough to cause discomfort.

@bella7 If this situation is just for tonight, some plain chicken and rice, for food, a leash and collar, so you can safely take the pup out to go to the bathroom. And a safe secure place for them to sleep, where they can’t get into trouble, or chew on electric cords and what not. My guy likes a few towels folded in his crate to sleep on (easily washable in case of an accident)

If this is gonna be a long term situation,
You need a vet, a crate, chew toys, high protein puppy food, more toys, poop bags, food and water dishes, more chew toys, …and more chew toys!

Also might want to give the puppy a bath..

And maybe more chew toys

Also, thanks for rescuing the puppy from the highway. You are that dogs true hero. ❤️❤️

@ethzz Legally I need to post some sort of notice abd wait three days. Vet appointment tomorrow :) I don’t think anyone is looking for this baby 😭 it is starving and thirsty and I am sure is being out for more than a day. our whole family is already in love ❤️ thanks for the advice

I think destiny brought us a new family member

@bella7 My guy was found in a dumpster in December. Filing a found dog report with local humane society was easy, they were too full too take him too. We love the new addition to our house. We looked and posted on the socials but he was for sure dumped. Thrift stores like Tjmaxx and Ross are great for low price dog accessories and treats!

@bella7 Congrats! My “puppy” came to us about 7 years ago very randomly as a temporary situation. He will be about 17.5 ish soon and living like a king here 😎

Everyone has given great advice so far but my two cents is that “pouf” really helps with puppy accidents (or senior accidents when you get there). We clean with vinegar and water and then spray the pouf to prevent our other dog from marking that spot.

We feed him pure bites for treats as well, which he loves, and cheerios! You can break the pure bites really small for training or give bigger ones.

Good luck and congrats again!

@bella7 Be sure to ask about the risk of Parvo virus in your area. It's a very serious virus that causes a very painful death for puppies. The Parvo virus is in grass, and is more common in some areas than others. There is a Parvo vaccine that you should definitely prioritize so please ask the vet about it. I live in a place where it's very common so I am a little biased. But no joke, people don't put their puppies in grass AT ALL until they're vaccinated here. They bring them outside but on paved surfaces to go to the bathroom until they are vaccinated.

Even if Parvo is less common in your area, your puppy may be malnourished or have a weakened immune system because he was dumped or lost or mistreated, neglected. Which can increase his risk of catching Parvo compared to other puppies in your area. Hope that makes sense. Good luck

@ayakuro My dad's dad died when my dad was 12. All of his siblings were older and out of the house so it was just my dad and his mom at home. 3 days after his dad's death, they found a collie puppy at the bottom of their window well.

My dad of course wanted to keep him and he feels that it was God's way of helping him and his mom through his dad's death. That little puppy ended up having parvo and what they ended up doing was making a little cardboard area where the poor thing pooped and pooped and pooped, but they were able to nurse him back to health and he lived such a long life that I even have a memory of him from when I was a kid.

But he was super lucky. I can't imagine as a recent widow having to care for a puppy that was pooping everywhere and on its deathbed. My dad said it was not a fun experience and a very long couple of weeks, on top of losing his dad too.

@katypeach Your Dad did a great thing, what that puppy went through was horrible and it's a miracle to survive. But after that, I'm super all the dog knew was love and safety with your Dad ❤️ thanks for sharing

@katypeach That is similar to what happened to us. We moved across the country and the day we arrived my brother passed away. 2 weeks later our 13 year old family dog passed away too. A month later we felt ready for a new dog so we picked up a puppy. Unfortunately she had parvo, spent 10 days at the vet and weeks at home trying to gain muscle back to even walk and run. She finally recovered. We thought we would lose her too though, she got a blood transfusion and a feeding tube during her vet stay. It was really hard after the losses we already had had recently. We even got her vaccinations the first day we got her but it doesn’t help if they already have parvo, which we didn’t know at the time.