Found out puppy likely has worms at the vet…Paranoid about having them now as well

We got a puppy 4 days ago from someone we know who couldn’t take care of it and were looking to give it up. He is 9 weeks old, and we brought him to the vet for initial checkup / anything the vet said he would need. Other than this and the papers we were given, we don’t know how his care was leading up to this point

Due to his belly pushing out or potbelly appearance, the vet thinks he probably has worms. The records we got when taking the puppy say he supposedly got Strongid T on April 10. The vet just gave him another dose of it today, and we have another one to give him in 2 weeks. His poos have also been normal and have seen no indication other than the pot belly.

This all being said while we now know to be very careful about them, I’m paranoid now that in the 4 days we’ve had him before knowing he likely has worms that they’ve been transmitted to us. I keep reading online how transmissible they are, and obviously while I’m not eating his poo and washing my hands before eating or after picking his up, I’m paranoid about all the other chances (e.g. if there was is fecal matter too small to see on his tail or something and I go to carry him somewhere, them possibly touch my face or some route it can come in). How likely is it worms to be transmitted to humans, am I just going crazy over something that is extremely unlikely? Thank you for listening to my rant lol.

@acandleindarkness Worms are common in puppies. Most worms aren’t transmissible to humans. Once the stool test comes back (usually 2 days) you’ll know what type of worm you’re dealing with. You’re treating the worms so I wouldn’t stress about it. You’re going crazy over something very rare/unlikely. I freaked out the first time my dog had worms as well.

@thecross3 My vet said "wash your hands after you pick up after her. Wash the fabric that has come into contact with her butt. Don't lick her butthole. Don't eat her poop. If you see tapeworm eggs or heads, don't eat them. I feel these are generally good ideas and I probably don't need to tell you, but this is probably the 97th time I've said it this week so don't feel bad"

@acandleindarkness We have 10 acres. The wild list of animals is rabbits foxes deer wild birds of all types and woodchucks. Tame animals we have dogs cats and chickens. Everyone gets wormed twice a year with safe guard or panacur. Never met a dog who couldn’t not eat the rabbit deer or chicken shit. It’s gold. Worms are everywhere. Just worm regularly and live your life.

@acandleindarkness Ah this makes more sense. I would wait and see what kind of worms it comes back with. Continue to keep washing your hands after picking up his poop, bag it and throw it away immediately. Wash his food/water bowls, and vaccuum the house/clean bedding just for safety.

It’s not common to get worms from your dog, but it technically could happen. Just be on top of cleaning until you find out the type of worm.

@acandleindarkness I got a rescue pup that had 3 different types of gi parasites when we got her. Not only that, she had stomach issue (not surprisingly) and had a lot of very runny poo all over our yard. It took multiple rounds of dewormer to get her cleared up, which meant she had parasites for over a month in my home. And I was SO convinced I had infected myself somehow. I followed normal hygiene and always washed my hands after picking up poo. I picked up the poo immediately so there wasn’t a chance for the parasites to get in the soil, and I washed her bedding frequently. The good news is it’s been two years and clearly I didn’t catch anything so I’m sure you are okay too!

Back