Fosters claim issues I’m not seeing

caelesto

I’m in the process of adopting a female, about a year old is the guess, and large breed. She has a backstory, suffice to say I am the fifth known person/house in her life. The process of adoption has been slowed at my choice. I wanted to get her to one of my vets for a general checkup and update vaccines that need it. The delay also allowed me time to work on training her for my life. She was returned to the fosters on weekends and retrieved Tuesday.

This delayed option is removed. She will be coming home with me today. The fosters removed the option for safety reasons. They have small children and she nipped at a guest/friend of theirs while out on a jog with the husband. She scratched but did not puncture. I totally get that they have these concerns. And I agree in their situation.

My however in all this is, she does not behave at all the same from what I have seen between them and me. When I first met her she was on a retractable leash and yanking the wife around and barking some. She has broke a retractable leash. There were three small kids with her and this was chalked up to protective behavior. She does pull with me but hardly yanks by comparison and the pulling has subdued some with work. She’s on a normal leash.

When I pick her up she is often on a tie out, and I’m told its to let her burn some energy. She barks her head off when I arrive. I have once heard her bark “for nothing” in the days she has stayed with me. It was because she was placed in the car after attempting to return her for the wknd, and it was one vocalization, not a continued stream. She doesnt like men according to the fosters. Yet on encounters with unknown men in dog friendly stores she pays them little mind. Her worst vocalizations has been when I walk my boy and she is left (crated for safety) inside. Bit of separation anxiety it seems. When crated she shows minor issues, and doesnt want to go in but once settled is quiet and mostly content.

The ppl who were present when I met her and have seen her since say she is like a different dog with me. Obviously these are brief encounters. She has shown promise as a pet. She shows some potential for work. She is smart.

A bite reaction at any time is concerning. But is there a chance for her to live with some training and work? Am I fooling myself here, and being unrealistic? Is my safety at undo risk? I want to give her a chance and I find her good for me. But ppl around me are convinced she is a danger. She won’t be around them more than necessary, btw.

ETA: The breed is suspected to be Canaan dog. But five homes later, and the foster dug for info, her and I are no closer to confirming or denying that info. The dog kind of looks like Charlie from All Dogs Go to Heaven, but lighter coloring. The tail is similar to that of a canaan but the microchip goes back to nothing. So dna testing may happen in the near future.

Update: contacted a trainer semi local to me and will be getting in asap. In the meantime, the trainer provided advice to work with where she is currently with what we do know. Going to give this a fair shot for her. Thank you all for your words. They helped.

@caelesto It's super common to have a totally different dog under your care than in the previous home or foster. I can't tell you how many dogs I fostered who didn't have the issues they were surrendered for, or those issues quickly resolved. Leadership & structure solve SO many problems before they leak out into behaviour. I would give her a chance for sure.

@1s4b3ll4 I agree with this... it sounds like the foster home just isn't a good match. And I say that with absolutely no judgement toward the foster home. I feel like most fosters end up with a dog at one point or another that's a terrible match and that they don't have the time/energy for.

I fostered a 2-year-old husky back in September, while also having my own (at the time) 1.5-year-old husky, a 12-year-old Pomeranian mix, and a cat. I did not have the time or energy for this dog. He was crated way too much for his energy needs. But I don't have a sliver of guilt because he would've been euthanized if I didn't take him temporarily.

This just sounds like a dog that needs more exercise and stimulation than the foster family was able to give her.

@caritasium I am coming back over this post to thank ppl for their comments. Your comment helped me a lot. My rescue got a soft landing space and other gave her a chance to meet me. We continue to work on behavior and she has shown improvement. I just got a text this week asking if the foster should cancel the relinquish appt at a semi local shelter. She’s working out so I told them to cancel. We have missed training appts because of life but she continues to improve over time. Hoping the two appts we get help with the big stuff and we can work from there.

Thank you for taking a dog in. I’ve been there with time/obligations and I understand it can be difficult. The work is appreciated.

As my dog settles in some more I will post again, and I hope to say she has improved if nothing else. I’m grateful you spoke up. It has definitely led to improved appreciation of soft landings. Fosters mean the world to rescues.

@1s4b3ll4 Agree and it sounds like OP has a pretty solid foundation on dog training/leadership. We have a dog who was surrendered for ‘barking too much’ (he very rarely barks with us). Rooting for OP and their new pup!

@mynameishephzibah I wanted to respond. She is still with me. She is doing well. My base knowledge helped me to know I needed help and it has come in handy. The couple of training sessions and the time spent at home with my basic knowledge and the knowledge of an experienced trainer have given the dog an opportunity. She is currently lazing on the floor after a zoomies session and chasing a stick (toy).

She has her barking days. Usually involving the neighbors horses lately. Sometimes she barks at the noises of ppl speaking. But the barking is workable. She is settling in. She is getting the chance she deserves.

@1s4b3ll4 Totally agree. My mom and I have similar body language. My dad's dog pushes the boundaries with her (bratty terrier) but is actually very well trained (goes to children's hospital). I don't have a problem with her because I just won't put up with it. I've worked with her and my dad. The big problem I have with her is the bathroom. She wants to be in there with you and will aggressively like the toilet bowl while you're using it. She does not do this if you are not on the toilet. She will also scratch at the door the entire time you're in the bathroom. My husband has had to open the door for my mom's dog whole I'm taking a shower but he's a velcro dog and was upset that he couldn't find me.

@astral22 I have absolutely noticed that she has different behaviors at different points of the day. If we are in town she seems to relax more as it is normal to be left in a vehicle. But at home she finds the need to speak more as if there is more to alert me to. Its often the neighbors horses. Lol. But we are working together to get her better.

@caelesto Sometimes they need the right home to flourish. My cat was a family rehome. I've known him since he was a kitten. My experience prior to him coming to live with me was a shy, skittish cat. After I brought him home, he developed into a vocal, cuddle bud who was a complete daddy's boy. He also loved to watch us play certain video games and watch animated shows with us.

@1s4b3ll4 I wanted to share that she is doing well and improves. She is getting her chance. We have been to a trainer a couple time. Life keeps happening on appt days so she has a couple more left at this point. The major concerns are being addressed and I hope to give her a good shot at a great dog life. If nothing else, she has gotten the chance. And if things work out less than liked she has a home where she can settle down and rest. She very much is a different dog than the day she showed up. Thank you for sharing your experience. It helped along the way a lot.

@caelesto I appreciate the update! If she is actually Canaan, that makes even more sense. They are highly sensitive (and pretty barky) dogs, sounds like she is actually doing really well for an adolescent with her backstory! Good job & thanks for helping her.

@caelesto I can't really help you (not a trainer, just a pet owner) but my taking on dogs needing re-homing has always been on a blank slate basis, I see or feel something in the dog and that makes my decision. I do sometimes hear what the problems previous owner(s) had and will keep them in mind but I don't bring them into our new relationship, I start from scratch the way I hope we'll live together. I really do think most dogs, when given a new life, leave the past behind and go forward according to their new training and management.

Obviously 5 previous owners is something to be concerned about but your personal assessment and reaction to the dog is also important. But don't overestimate your skills, be realistic in what you might achieve, but me... I'd go with my gut.

@assilvertried I like this idea, starting from scratch. We get the occasional dumped dog where we live and often know nothing about them other than gender. If I go in with the idea of starting from scratch maybe we do better long term.

@caelesto Yes, we used to have dogs dumped in our area and would care for them while waiting for ... whatever agency would collect them or we could find homes. It was awful but thankfully doesn't happen as much anymore.

@assilvertried I wanted to come back and thank all who commented as I got so many good responses that were helpful. Yours certainly helped. She gets a mixture of s blank slate as much as possible with my instincts involved. She shows her smarts often and I am reminded that she is here for that reason. I know she is smart and so we work with that. I wanted to give her a chance and with thinking with a blank slate at times she has improved. Thanks you for the advice.

@caelesto I can't tell you what to do, but in your situation I would take her and workout any potential issue. A bite can be "anything", could it have been a cheerful nip as they were out running? We had a GSD growing up that what lethal around heels as children jumped in the pool. In all other aspects he was top notch perfect dog. All in all, it was such a small issue to manage and the two times he did damage was totally my parents fault for just saying "oh, if you're fast enough he won't get you".

@sodaboy Cattle Dog. I get nipped by accident occasionally when things are happy, I suspect eyesight issues due to other clues. When she’s excited, her jaws almost involuntarily get snappin’.

Instantly wondered if the OP was hiding the breed on purpose because a bite history can mean different things in different breeds.

@gerty The breed is suspected to be Canaan dog. But five homes later, and the foster dug for info, her and I are no closer to confirming or denying that info. The dog kind of looks like Charlie from All Dogs Go to Heaven, but lighter coloring. The tail is similar to that of a canaan but the microchip goes back to nothing. So dna testing may happen in the near future.

Back