For those on a budget, what dna test do y’all choose?

marinaamz29

I know embark is the best, but are there other cheaper ones that are almost if not just as good? Also, I’ve never got a dna test before. Do y’all get the breed ID one or health one? My male dog is CKC registered, but I don’t know if that’s enough to stud him out since I’ve never done it before.

@marinaamz29 Start with what tests are required for your breed. (For example, some breeds JUST require an annual eye exam (CERF) and to know PRA status- in that case, you could just get the DNA test for PRA specifically from UCDavis or GenSol Diagnostics, depending on which one offered it for your breed.) I don't think there's ANY breed that has all the health problems that Embark tests for, so you can focus on the ones that are relevant for your breed.

All that said- genetic testing is usually the cheapest testing you'll do when it comes to breeding dogs- hips, elbows, eyes, heart, thyroid are all very common and pretty much all of these will cost more than an Embark kit. (Eyes may be cheaper if you can find a testing clinic at a dog show or something.

@marinaamz29 CKC as in Continental Kennel Club? or CKC as in Canadian Kennel Club. If Continental, you have a dog of questionable pedigree and should not breed him. The Embark panel is the cheapest part of health testing. Here's a link to see what health test your breed should have: https://ofa.org/chic-programs/browse-by-breed/ And you should read what a Resposible breeder is and then try to become one: https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/wiki/identifying_a_responsible_breeder/ It will mean starting with a well breed dog and titling the dog as well as doing the appropriate health testing plus DNA testing. More ethical, responsible breeders are needed but irresponsible breeding in not needed, so full stop don't breed if you are not going to title, health test plus DNA your dog.

@marinaamz29 If you can’t afford to get the Embark test how do you propose to afford the rest of this proposition? What about health testing? Campaigning your dog to obtain titles? Vet appointments? Stud? Feeding puppies 8 weeks? The Embark is a drop in the bucket unless you are a BYB and just doing it for $$.

CKC registration means next to nothing.

@godsgrace59 I see they have the stud not the bitch so my questions are slightly inaccurate but the point stands! I didn’t read the entire post before commenting. Stinks of BYB to me!

@imalamb I thought health testing was part of the embark testing. My dog has been to the vet already. Like I said, I’m new and don’t know really what to do yet. I know I have more research to do. I’m just the kind of person who likes to explore all my options and find out more information from people with experience before I do anything and I thought I could learn some here

@marinaamz29 What makes you think you have a dog worth breeding? How old is it? Where did you get it? Did you sign a non breeding agreement? Why do you think you should even consider doing this?

Look up OFA testing and what is recommended for the breed.

@imalamb My grandparents used to breed dachshunds, and they said he is really beautiful. Also, the vet called him a fine specimen. And I got him from a lady selling puppies on Facebook. I didn’t sign anything that said I couldn’t breed him. He came with papers when I got him

@marinaamz29 That doesn’t sound like a reason to breed him.

The pup I have sitting beside me is well bred. She was many thousands of dollars. She is beautiful. She has a lovely temperament. She comes from thoroughly health tested and titled lines. Even if I didn’t sign a lengthy contract that includes a non breeding clause there is absolutely no reason to breed her.

My advice is to just enjoy your handsome little dog. Train. Go compete in barn hunts or whatever may suit you both. If you really need to, go to a confo show. See how he does.

There are too many dogs as it is and breeding is expensive and a lot of work. Only dogs that are truly worthy should be bred.

@marinaamz29 Do you have parent lineages? Did you get him from an actual reputable breeder which did the proper health testing and titled their dogs?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, then you can't ethically breed this dog. If you have all of that info and everything is in order then you should look into titling your dog (which will likely be much more expensive than health testing). Talk to the local breed club too

@marinaamz29 At least in Canada there is a way to look dogs up online based on their kennel's name. We also get a ckc registration certificate from the breeder. Can you potentially do this? You currently don't know that the parents were health tested and registered, which means as of right now, you can not ethically breed your dog.