Food causing stones

@aimee17 Oh yikes. That's not a great reason for a kidney diet. Kidney diets are extremely low protein and low phosphorus. And JFFD is exceedingly low protein. If the dog is on a low phosphorus diet and NOT retaining phosphorus (due to kidney disease) then of course there's going to be an excess of calcium to form stones.

@brennanskates Yeah we’re honestly so confused why that vet prescribed him that. It wasn’t even like my dog is has kidney problems or anything. He’s literally a happy and energetic dog and never has to go through any surgery until she changed his food.

@aimee17 I'm sorry you're going through that. I would definitely get off the kidney diets for now. I agree anything is better (normal food). It seems like this vet is a little misinformed about dog foods, and I say this as a Vet with a special interest in nutrition (life goals).

@brennanskates Thank you. Yeah he’s been back on his old kibble (castor&pollux) for almost a month now since his second surgery. Then he has a follow up check up next week. Hopefully there won’t be any more stones forming (or any more problems). We really feel like it’s the JFFD.

We feel like that vet who prescribed him the JFFD did that because at that time JFFD has a kiosk or salesperson inside his clinic. So they’re probably just trying to push it to sell. It’s sad but it really seems that way.

@aimee17 We’ve had our dog on JustFoodForDogs renal support since November and he has bladder stones less than 5 months on it. I definitely think it’s the food and will be throwing it away. He’s having surgery today.

@gregoryzim Yeah it is definitely the food. I’m so sorry your dog has to go through this as well :( I hope everything goes well on his surgery and that he recovers well. I suggest you ask JustFoodForDogs for a refund. I messaged them and told them about what happened and it seems like they weren’t even surprised. They just have no explanation. But they refunded me for the rest of the products that’s i still have left. Our dog has been on Hills diet kibble since then and he’s fine.

@aimee17 Has your vet suggested a prescription diet to prevent formation of stones? I know you said your dog has a rare type of stones. My 2 yo Aussie started having issues with Struvite crystals a few months ago and she’s been doing well on Hills C/D diet so we’re keeping her on that food to prevent having stones form and needing surgery.

@kjs000 The lab gives recommendations but for our case they couldn’t give any since they haven’t encountered this before. The doctor just made us put him back on his old food and then we’ll take him for a follow up next week and they want to do xray. We did asked for a prescription diet, but they didn’t want to put him on any yet because they want to try putting him back on his old one since he never had problems with it. Aawww your Aussie is still a baby! I’m glad you’ve found a food that works! I really hope your Aussie doesn’t get sick because it is really difficult

@aimee17 Hello, I found your comment after searching just Food for dogs and bladder stones. My dog had emergency surgery two weeks ago after being on JustFoodForDogs for the past year. My dog had a calcium tartrate stone block his urethra and almost kill him. It costed us $12,900. I came to buy 21 more packs of food and thought to myself, maybe I should google and see if it’s the food and I found you. How did this resolve? Did you ever reach out to the company and tell them your concerns? Please let me know!

Back