Food causing stones

aimee17

We changed our dog’s food to this JustFoodForDogs Renal Support Low Protein like 10 months ago as per suggested by the vet. 4 months later, he developed stones that even went to his urethra, he couldn’t pee. He had to have surgery. 3 months later after that surgery, we noticed he was struggling trying to pee again so we brought him back and he has stones again! So he had to have surgery again and because it was so absurd that he got this again that soon, they’ve also decided it’s safer to just do a bypass as well so the stones doesn’t have to reach his urethra. We have a male dog and now his pee is coming out of this new “hole”, not through his male part anymore where his pee was supposed to be coming out. The surgeon strongly believes it’s this food that’s causing it because he’s been on dry food for 9 years and never had any problem and all of sudden he’s getting stones? The only thing that we changed was this food. We have put him back to his old dry food kibble and we’ll have to bring him to get X-rays every month to monitor and see if there will be any more stones developing. These surgeries has cost as $18k all because we changed his food. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with this food? We still have 16 packs of this in our freezer that’s gonna go to waste. We thought of just donating it but we’re worried that it would make another dog sick and we don’t want that.

@roberthill1964 He’s a mix of Pomeranian and mini pincher and Chihuahua. His original food is the Castor & Pollux Organix and we have put him back to this a the surgeon suggested

@aimee17 Poms have an increased risk of calcium oxalate stones and small breeds in general are more predisposed. The diets may differ in something like magnesium as it isn't something they regularly put on their labels. It also depends what type of stones they are.

The JustFoodForDogs also has vets formulate it, but it doesn't look like any of them have a specialty designation in nutrition.

@roberthill1964 It is Calcium tartrate tetrahydrate and it is very rare type.

The reason why the other vet made him switch to this food when he was doing fine with his other food was because she said it’s better for his kidneys. But i mean, he was doing fine until this food

@aimee17 Since it is so rare, you'll likely not know why. They don't even know why humans get these stones. You could reach out to the company and let them know though. I would send them a copy of the stone report.

There are other kidney formulations out there. Feeding a kidney diet is a form of treatment for them so it would be ideal to be on one. I would understand your hesitant though. I'd be interested to see if things stay clear going back on the old food.

My old guy is going through a rare thing also. I find them interesting, but they are very frustrating as an owner!

@roberthill1964 I know, it’s sad and frustrating. We did contacted JFFD and they just said they’ll refund us the remaining food we have. But apparently. Were not the only ones who’s had problems, I was talking to the receptionist at my dog’s vet (not the surgeon’s office) and I mentioned to her the problem and she said there’s been other people who’s had problems with these fresh frozen food.

It’s so heartbreaking when this happens to them, I hope your old guy is not suffering

@aimee17 Interesting. We don't have it here so I was snooping. The fresh food is a newer thing so it will have its hick ups, I'm sure. It could be better for animals with stuff like kidney disease with the additional moisture, but not if it causes other issues.

My old guy didn't think he was even ill until he medication made him a diabetic! It's been an interesting ride!

@roberthill1964 Being residency trained means he completed the schooling, same as all other board certified nutritionists. As mentioned, he's waiting for his research to be published which is a requirement to get certified. Some people wait years to have their research published and still have done everything else that is required for certification.

@brennanskates Yes, he hasn't completed it so he isn't board certified. That's why is just days dvm. Yes, he has extra knowledge. He still isn't certified. Here, that is a requirement to be called a veterinary nutritionist. When he completes it, they will call him one.

@aimee17 Are the stones Struvite or calcium oxalate?

The JFFD renal food is mildly low in calcium and a low phosphorus good. By nature, renal diets are not the best for stone formers due to the composition. This is the same with other renal diets offered by RC, hills, or purina

@brennanskates The stones they found is calcium tartrate tetrahydrate. Which is apparently a rarely occurring mineral type. They dont even know how to prevent it but since our dog has been doing perfectly fine until he was changed to this food, their saying it’s gotta be the food.

@aimee17 Well yes. That's why renal diets are contraindicated for calcium stone formers because they are higher in calcium than phosphorus. In most foods it should be closer to a 1:1 ratio, but dogs in renal failure have a hard time getting rid of phosphorus, so the food is made to be low phosphorus and decent calcium. So when the body retains phosphorus from renal disease, the higher calcium can help bind to the excess phosphorus and get rid of it. But dogs that form calcium stones will now have higher calcium in their diet to form these stones.

Hills k/d has been tested to deter calcium stones. JFFD has not been tested for this (Neither has the royal Canin renal or Purina nf).

@brennanskates They didn’t want to put him on any other food yet. They just wanted him to go back to his old kibble and see how that goes since he never had problems for 9 years he’s been taking it

Back