[Fluff] We got the rottie!

the_gaurdian87

Update 12.8.21: I posted this almost a year ago and I unfortunately have some bad news regarding Martin. He went into a home who had a lot of experience with rotties, and sadly they made the decision to euthanize. I wholeheartedly agree with their decision, as he sent both owners to the ER on multiple occasions. They did everything they could for him, but his years of abuse messed something up in his head. He had Idiopathic Aggression and would randomly lash out and do serious damage. He accidentally nipped me once when I was giving him treats and I still have scars on my fingers, so an intentional bite could be deadly. As sad as I am, I’m so grateful to the family that adopted him and gave him a chance at life. They didn’t feel they could safely rehome him and after discussing with their veterinarian and a trainer they decided to love on him and then help him move on.

For the past year, there’s been a rottie chained up at a house across the street from an elementary. A friend of mine who also works in rescue has been doing everything in her power to rescue this boy, to no avail.

He’s chained up to a tree with about 3 feet of space to move. He has an empty calf shed for shelter and a bucket for water. We suspect he was fed scraps as that’s what these people do.

Unfortunately, because of the area we live in, animal control refused to do anything. They only require they have shelter and water. They don’t even ask about vaccines!

My friend has left notes and on Friday dropped off a packet of information about what temperatures are safe for Rottweilers and what they should eat, etc. and left her phone number, begging him to let her have the dog, even saying she’ll pay (which she never does).

Well when I drove by today there was a sign that said “rott for sale”. I immediately took a picture and sent it to my friend, then sped to my work at a rescue to ask my boss if I could go get him. She said of course.

When we got there, he asked for $1000. My heart literally stopped. Luckily, my friend had just pulled in and she’s actually done this before. She asked if he’d been vetted. The guy said yes, he had ACA papers (not even AKC, and they hadn’t even been sent in so they mean nothing). She said “no, vet papers.” The man looked at her blankly. “Has he ever seen a doctor? Vaccines? Neuter?” The guy shrugged and said no. She asked how old he was, and he said almost 4 (which is wrong, he’s almost 5). We asked his name and he ignored the question. Asked again and he said “Oh uh... Buster.” I totally think he made it up on the spot. Asked if he was good with people and he shrugged and said “He’s never bitten anyone that I know of.”

This poor dog had lived five years on a 3 foot chain, had no human interaction, was skin and bones, fed trash and was left with a frozen water bucket, and this piece of trash wanted $1000 for him. Thankfully, we got him to lower his price, and we loaded Buster up and sped away.

Buster will never be on a chain again. From now on he’ll only know love and warmth and a full belly. Despite what he’s been through, you can tell he wants love. His little tail never stopped wagging. We’re going to get him vetted and fixed, and once we get some weight on him we’ll be looking for his forever home. I’m just so damn happy he’s finally safe.

Update: his name will be changing to Martin, in honor of MLK. Only fitting as he was saved on MLK day!

Dog tax

@the_gaurdian87 Mine was tied out and half starved after his owner never returned from overseas (😞) and the person supposed to be watching him didn’t. The rescue fattened him up and got his hair growing back, he was only two. Here is Kraut Baron Von Derp Schnitzel, now a spoiled dog with a job- a medical alert and mobility service dog. https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJTvjudo/

@gracegrecia371 Sadly we live in Amish country and are right near a popular dumping spot, so we see some terrible things. I think we may have annoyed this guy into selling his dog, but it was so worth it!

And you your boy is beautiful! Thank you so much for giving this guy a chance, and congrats on the service dog! My sister who went with me today has a gluten detection service dog, so I know how important these animals are.

@the_gaurdian87 I’m so sad to hear more bad treatment of animals from the Amish. We knew an Amish family who were the polar opposite, LOVED all their animals and wanted nothing to do with the families who do this. It seems there’s one or the other, it makes me so sad. You did a great thing and gave a dog a great start at life and a new family a great pet, I’m sure he will be so grateful for everything he’s given. Dogs are just amazing, what would we do without them? 🐾

@the_gaurdian87 Mind if I ask why don't people steal the dogs in cases like this ? I know it's easy to talk from behind my phone but my blood is kinda boiling so i can't imagine what you guys felt seeing a piece of shit like this guy do that

@thegingerone As being involved in anti-tethering movements in my community, I can tell you real rescues would never steal an animal. It’s illegal and can get them in a lot of trouble. Secondly, the people could end up just replacing the “stolen” dog with a new one.

In a lot of communities, they are making tethering your dog illegal, which is great. But then assholes who insist on having a dog to ignore just get kennels to replace the chains. One step forward, two steps back, it seems.

@vcbcvtrtttte This exactly. We’re a small business and if someone sued us that would be it. So instead we work hard to rescue and educate. But boy did I think about it every time I drove past him.

@the_gaurdian87 Hi, I am reading your post and thought about a education non-profit in the Detroit area. It’s called — C.H.A.I.N.E.D. Inc. “Freeing dogs from the chain...one dog at a time.” Chainedinc.org. If you can’t rescue them, you can at least help the dogs some and educate the owners. 🐾💕

@purelife Ooo! I’ll look into that thank you so much! I’ve emailed the humane society of the US and asked if they have recommendations as well, but I’m definitely going to look at that site!!

@the_gaurdian87 Go to Dogsdeservebetter.org. They are a national non-profit that advocates for dogs on chains, and they have a wealth of info on their site. A step-by-step really. PETA also has tips on their site, too. It really is a great time to give it a try as communities all over the country are passing laws.

@the_gaurdian87
In the case of Buster, he was protection.

Bloody lot of good he'll do chained up. These morons don't even realize their way doesn't make sense. I have a Rottie, they are loyal to a fault and naturally protective. Best way to make a Rottie into a guard dog is to love them. They'll do anything for their person.

@ponmolid Even when we were taking the dog, he was sitting by his owner. He has a sore on his ear, my friend bumped it and he growled. She asked about it and the guy started yanking on his ears, and the dog didn’t do anything. So loyal, and the bastard doesn’t even deserve it.

@ponmolid Same goes for Dobermans. They're very sensitive, loyal creatures. Depriving them of love and a human bond makes them mean, as with most social creatures. Smothering their humans with love are a Rottie and Dobie's natural state. Love them back and they'll lay down their life to protect their people, without hesitation.

@the_gaurdian87 That sucks, I’m sorry you are in an area like this. I love my state because it does do so much for animals tbh, and doesn’t treat them as disposable.

I’d have so many animals if I lived in any Midwestern state, or even a southern one, because so many are treated poorly and it’s such the “norm” not many people do anything about it. Thanks for being one of the people that did!