First time adopting from a rescue, and she’s really reactive

We got a plot hound mix two years ago. I was begging my mom to adopt from a shelter because she always adopted from breeders before. But what we didn’t know, is how difficult of a life she had before, how it continues to effect her, and how it would effect our family.

I love this dog to death but I don’t think she is meant to be with other dogs. We have a 8 year old lab who is crazy in her own way, and maple (plot hound) will attack my lab randomly. We try to figure out what makes her tweak and prevent it (so they eat separate, she doesn’t get bones, etc) but she still will randomly get agitated and attack my other dog who is now becoming so skittish and scared.

On top of that she has extreme trauma. We think she was abused, you can’t hold things over her head or she will cower and hide. She wakes up in the middle of the night every night yelping from nightmares.

The issue besides her being unpredictable, she bit my sister and she had to go to the hospital. We keep her away from anyone outside of our family now, but the trainer my mom sees idk if it’s helping much. My mom will also yell at her which I am p sure doesn’t help but my mom is not really open to any feedback I give her (which is a separate issue). I don’t live at home anymore so I don’t get to see my dogs nearly as much, but I feel like it’s my fault. I hope that my family doesn’t hold it against me and not want to rescue in the future but idk. I also have no idea how to help my dog. She’s 2 and I’m worried it’s just going to get worst w age. I want to adopt her from my parents but I live in a one bedroom apartment, she needs a yard and a home and I can’t provide that atm.

Rant over. I just feel very alone and hopeless atm. Hopefully this will pass soon.

@doubtingdisciple A numbered list because I'm too tired for full sentences:
1) mom is definitely NOT helping by yelling at dog, makes worse
2) there are a bunch of different kinds of trainers (not all great), and there a a bunch of different kinds of students (also not great). What I'm saying is your mom may be a bad student
3)resource guarding people is a thing. Also redirecting anger is a thing
4) if dog doesn't get enough mental stimulation, makes everything worse

@joshcorn Yea mom is def a bad student I can admit that. She’s not really listening to me when I try to explain things to her about training (simple resources that can be found online) but that’s really a separate issue in itself.

@doubtingdisciple Reactive dogs are a lot of work and none of us (I'm guessing) ended up here intentionally. My dog sat on my feet at the shelter and was super sweet - then a month later she started growling at everything.

Needs a lot of care - I hesitate to say training, because it sounds like your dog needs encouragement to experience the world as safe. Vets, trainers, this sub can all help.

Check the FAQ/wiki info for the sub.

@doubtingdisciple All of my dogs have been rescues, and all have turned out to have had some pretty serious trauma. Each dog reacts differently to their trauma, but most trauma can be mitigated by removing (as much as is reasonable) things that trigger that trauma.

As already noted, yelling at Maple isn't a good tactic. She maybe not able to live with other dogs, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I may have missed it in my sleeplessness, but you don't mention ways she is reactive, other than resource guarding (?) around other dogs.

Your Maple may not be REACTIVE as much as she is REACTING. That doesn't make things less problematic, but it does mean that there is a strong possibility for this to improve.

It sounds like Maple is in an unhappy situation already. I.dont think that a yard and a home makes up for that for Maple or the other lab.

I also don't think that a 1 bedroom apartment is an automatic disqualifier for you to take the dog. Are you active yourself? Do you really love this dog and want her for your own? Can you afford the dog on your own?

If the answers are yes, then you can seriously consider taking the dog. It is better for Maple to be happy, loved, and feel safe in squished conditions than for her to be unhappy/unsafe in a nice house with a yard.

Back