Female dog is bleeding during heat but far more than usual

sing2thelord

She's a Shih Tzu and is 8 yrs old. I understand that we should've gotten her spayed and am okay with getting told off about it (rightfully). The only bleeding I've ever noticed during her heats is 1-2 drops however I woke up 2 days ago to a small pool of blood on the floor. It was about the size of both my palms (?) (I'm and F adult if that even helps) but she seemed completely normal. Happy, running, jumping, excited for treats, eating, drinking, and sleeping with no indication that she's sick.

Tonight I went to the bathroom and noticed that this time, her blanket had roughly the same size of blood. Acting completely fine, grooming her vulva that looks swollen from heat. I was pretty panicked the first time it happened but my mom was just laid off work that week and we don't have the money to take her to the vet. The blood is bright red and no discoloration. Smells like how blood should. I've read about Pyometra (infection in reproductive organs) today and the bleeding they describe seems to include discharge/pus. I think we will be taking her to the vet regardless of debt but does anyone have anything else to add on what it could be? More bleeding due to age? I feel sick to my stomach thinking that something as bad as Pyometra is taking place and Idk if I'm trying to cope because she's showing 0 signs of sickness when I know how she acts when she's sick. Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit, I don't use the site often.

@sing2thelord Is she drinking and urinating more than usual? My dog (F7) had the same heat ended 2 weeks ago where she was bleeding MUCH more than normal and after it ended she was drinking and urinating WAY too much (like peeing 3+ times in the span of a few hours) so we immediately took her to the vet and found out it was closed pyometra (no discharge or fluid coming out) and immediately got surgery. With your dogs age being 8 it might be the cause since its really common for unspayed female dogs between 6-10. I would definitely suggest going to the vet

@devinemercy Haven't paid attention to how much she's drinking since I was just relieved that she was but it's possible she is asking to go out more to pee since she looks more eager than usual to go when i ask if she wants to go out (around every 3-4 hrs, when i check on her) Ty for telling me your situation, it sounds similar to what's happening to us unfortunately so I guess it'll be a visit to the vet :(

Back