Feeding a dog w/o commercial foods

mae9

My dog is significantly more itchy then other dogs I've had in the past. I got him at 1.8 months and noticed within a day the constant biting/itching of legs, paws, face, ect.

The previous owners said they noticed a chicken allergy. I've read that there may be a good chance if he is allergic to chicken, he may be allergic to something else too.

My vet suggested benadryl which seemed to help. I also noticed baths can help. It may be environmental allergies. Im going to do my best to keep him away for wooded areas incase of poison ivy/oak, and rinse him after walks...

I am also considering giving him a non commercial diet to confirm food allergies also. Reading up on foods, it seems 2 TBS of olive oil, 9 grams of pork, and 1 cup of uncooked white rice (will all be cooked) has the correct amount of protein and calories. Is there any issues with this diet?

Other foods I would cycle in to test eventually are beans, potato, oatmeal. Does he need veggies? High chance of being allergic to beef, eggs, and chicken...

@mae9 If you are concerned that your dog has "allergies" which by the way often tend to be environmental (airborne, present indoor and outdoor all year round) rather than food related, speak to your vet about a prescription/therapeutic diet.

Feeding a nutritionally unbalanced diet is just going to increase the dogs problems and do nothing to treat atopic dermatitis..

The prescription diet has to be fed exclusively for at least 2 months to rule out food sensitivities.

Continue to work closely with your vet and if the dogs allergies continue or get worse and you don't note improvement, I would ask for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist.

Here

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Dog Food is a highly palatable diet designed for adult dogs and puppies. It’s formulated with hydrolyzed proteins, which are composed of low molecular weight peptides, that can be absorbed in the digestive tract with a reduced risk of triggering an immune reaction. Optimal amounts of B vitamins and amino acids reinforce your dog’s skin barrier. Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA help promote healthy skin and coat. An exclusive blend of fibers helps support healthy digestion in dogs prone to digestive upsets, including diarrhea. And with strict manufacturing procedures to help avoid cross contamination, you can confidently feed Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP long-term to dogs with food sensitivities.

About allergies

Food allergies

More

More

https://vcahospitals.com/aurora/specialty/departments/dermatology#:~:text=VCA%20Aurora%20Animal%20Hospital%20is%20participating%20in%20a,to%20some%20of%20our%20current%20oral%20anti-allergy%20medications.

Dogs and cats of any age can develop food allergies. Specifically, ingredients in some pet foods can cause an allergic reaction in sensitive dogs and cats. Symptoms can include itching, ear infections, and gastrointestinal upsets. The problems are usually related to a protein or carbohydrate in the diet. Pets with food allergies tend to itch all year long instead of seasonally. What can complicate diagnosis of a food allergy is that many of these pets also may have concurrent allergies to fleas or other allergens in their environments.

When a food allergy is suspected, the veterinary dermatologist will recommend that you put your pet on something called a 'food elimination diet' that will help determine which food item your pet is reacting to. This is a complex process that takes place over a period of several months.

Your pet is first fed a hypoallergenic diet, which is a prescription diet available only through a veterinarian, until symptoms disappear. Then, your pet is 'challenged' by feeding it different special diets that can help determine which food item your pet is reacting to. Once the allergen (s) is identified, it can be eliminated from your pet's diet, hopefully ending the allergic reaction that is making your pet itch and scratch.

Note: While on a food elimination diet, it is very important not to feed your pet anything other than the elimination diet and treats and medications that are expressly approved by your veterinary dermatologist.

@mae9 Only olive oil, pork, and rice is not even close to enough for a nutritionally balanced diet. If you want to do a fresh or homemade diet look at brands like Just Food For Dogs. They sell fresh frozen and also have a diy recipe that needs a nutritional additive.

Back