E-collar?

eclipsewolfe

So my pup (15 months) is very reactive to other dogs and humans on walks in the sense that she wants to meet and play (not aggressive). Does anyone have any suggestions for whether an E-collar would be effective and/or how to properly use it? Also, any high-value treat suggestions would be appreciated as the training treats I have now are not good enough to get her attention away from other dogs. Thanks so much.

@eclipsewolfe Do not use one. No one ever should. Especially you and your dog. It’s the fastest way to turn your happy/excited dog into a shell of who they are now.

Be thankful this is your biggest issue with your dog. I had a dog that was aggressive towards me and my wife and we still never ever used one. We literally could not touch our dog. We didn’t pet him for 5 years. We ultimately made the choice for BE after years of his aggression escalating.

Your dog is just excited. Why are you complaining about that? Seems like it’s also redirectable and perhaps not even reactive (at least not in the context of this community). Have you done any basic training/obedience classes? I’d start there.

Not trying to be crass, but I just lost a reactive dog 5 days ago and I would have done anything for his biggest issue to be what you’re dealing with. If you can hug, touch, or have a “typical” dog/owner relationship, you’re incredibly lucky. Don’t ever lose sight of how lucky you are for that.

@cyjones85 Just wanted to comment quickly because I saw your original posts. They made me cry, and I could feel the love you had and have for your dog. I am so, so sorry.

Thank you for reminding me, and all of us, that these dogs are treasures. On my worst days, I think about your posts and your advice to hold them close and be grateful. It's helped me tremendously.

@rgw00 Thank you for commenting this. I just read your comment to my wife and we both broke down crying again. The last 2 days have been especially hard because we got Oliver’s ashes back so we both cry pretty easily. As comforting as it is having him back in the house, we’re both still totally distraught over the decision we had to make. We have a little corner in our dining room with his ashes, a picture of him, clay paw prints of his, a card from my brother, SIL, and their MIL, his leash, what’s left of his collar (our other dog literally chewed it off of him), and a battery candle that’s lit all the time. Sometimes it still feels like he’s here. Other times it’s glaringly obvious he’s not. The sun came out this afternoon and it was the closest it’s felt to him being back here than it has since before he passed. The tough thing is that we’re both still holding onto the moments early on in his life where we could hold him and pet him, as well as his last moments where we were able to do that again after YEARS of not being able to do that. This is what makes me so angry about some members of this sub who talk about taking extreme action over their (very young) dogs acting out of excitement. People don’t have the patience to wait out their dogs adolescent stage, and take extreme and irreversible steps so they can deal with it. That’s not dog ownership.

@eclipsewolfe Doesn't sound like an ecollar is needed. High value treats can be anything that your dog loves and it doesn't need to be marketed as a treat. Banana, cheese, boiled chicken, etc. Walk your dog before feeding so she'll be hungry. Start your walk with basic commands and rewards. Whenever you see anyone else when you are walking, turn and go a different way. Do commands and reward for listening. If she doesn't listen, she doesn't get a treat. Sounds like you might need a trainer to teach you loose leash walking.

@eclipsewolfe You need to teach the dog how to walk and focus on you in low stimulating environments first. Ive had some success with pattern games. I dunno where you are but Glasgow Dog Trainer in the UK has a wonderful focus game that you teach and build up to stimulating environments. Their online content was affordable.

Please dont use an e collar, in general. But it sounds like your dog is a goofy teenager and to punish that is a sure fire way to create aggression or mistrust. Not only will this just get better as she matures, but with consistent training she'll be fine. It's not really about what the treats are either, he's not taking them because she's over stimulated, over threshold. Work on her in environments where she will take food first before moving on

@eclipsewolfe Don't use an E-Collar.

Clicker train your dog if they're not already. Then teach them auto check in. Basically every time they make eye contact with you when outside, you click and reward. It teaches them frequently "check in" with you and gives you the opportunity to head off any behaviours or distractions you see coming up. It allows you to walk a different way or present a toy to distract.

As for high value treats they tend to be things like tiny bits of cheese (never feed blue cheeses), tiny bits of real meat either raw or dehydrated. Some people use chopped up sausages. You can see what your dog values more by having two different options and presenting one in each closed fist. Letting them sniff each and seeing which they're more interested in.

It sounds like your dog might be an overactive greeter. It's not an area I know much about but you can definitely train. Not sure what you should be searching for though but I'm sure others will have suggestions.

@eclipsewolfe The only thing I like my e-collar for is the vibrate function. My senior lab is going deaf and we trained that when it vibrates he gets a treat, so now he recalls even though he can’t hear us anymore.

I don’t believe that it’s a tool for reactive dogs. What is the plan for an e-collar with a play excited dog? To associate seeing new dogs with pain? What a great way to create fear aggression.

The best way to train dog neutrality (for me) has been just park yourself at a park where dogs are on a leash. Start with a distance outside of your dog’s reaction threshold. Reward for calm behavior (add in a key phrase “good relax”). I did this for an hour once a week for the first year of my puppy’s life and still practice this regularly.

Back