Dumb, LONG vent

thematthew

i know this subreddit is soooo flooded with annoying pet parents and frustrating dogs, but i have to get this off my chest because this one takes the cake.

dad tried to book online, did it wrong, called to fix it, whatever. 10mo cocker spaniel, okay, sure. as i’m booking the appointment, he says, “Now, I have to tell you—he’s a BOY boy.” and i’m like, what the HELL does that mean? is this gonna be one of those things where the owner is weird about gender? but then he goes on to talk about how playful and energetic the dog is, and i say, oh, so that puppy energy. “No, it’s MORE than puppy energy.” ooooookay.

THEN he says—“He’s not neutered, and I plan on NEVER getting him neutered. I plan on breeding him out.” oh lord, a backyard breeder type. i book the appointment with my trainee, since they need pattern practice.

my guys. this dog had N E V E R been to a salon before. never groomed. i WISH i’d taken pictures because he looked WACK. he was also really big—a lot taller than a regular cocker, and the body is a little longer. so NOT standard bred. his hair was almost growing in pattern? but all the longer hair seemed to be ONLY puppy hair, while the top was adult coat.

5 cocker cut, 1/3 off the legs. ok, so a scissor cut on the legs, fine.​

bruh, he tried to jump out the tub, tried to jump off the drying table, HOWLED whenever the trainee tried to hold a leg to get it dried. i took over, and whenever he howled, i held his leg firmly and said “NO” and he would subside. i managed to get him dry, but it was a WORKOUT. trainee gets him on the table, running their clippers over him and he was THRASHING so hard I had to take over.

he was wild the entire groom. i told everyone in the salon, don’t look at him, don’t talk to him, don’t give him ANY attention. which usually helps with puppies—but not with him. any time anyone walked by, i would have to stop since he would go CRAZY and i didn’t want to cut him. once i eventually got to the head i had to be so goddamn careful—he did the thing where dogs pretend like they’re interesting in something on the other side of the room, so you can’t work on his head or face. but then also whenever someone would make even the SMALLEST sound—he would WHIP his head around, which was especially nerve wracking around his ears.

cocker heads and ears usually take me about 5-10 minutes. his took THIRTY.

all in all the groom took me about 5 hours, and that was without me needing to bathe him. we told dad he needs to come in more often and he HAD to get him in training, since we might not be able to take him with this behavior in the future. he pretty much ignored us, and left the training pamphlet on the counter.

this isn’t even including all the matting i had to spot shave. it was GNARLY.

TLDR; bad owner. bad dog. wish i had before and afters.

@thematthew Yeah I love the idea of grooming cockers because I do have a soft spot for spaniels since I own one, but then I remember that grooming spaniels is miserable work and they are for some reason some of the most poorly taken care of dogs. Like sure every golden is obese and sits the whole time, but at least they always seem to be really loved by their owners and in return they're pretty socialized.

Also I think I dislike grooming intact dogs more than anything. My coworker and I have been jizzed on by an intact dog before (and it was a jumbo jet doodle). I was also once grooming an intact flat coated retriever whose back legs had to be held like he was a fucking wheelbarrow otherwise he would just try to violently hump me the whole service.

@thegiant I still think a lot of it comes down to poor breeding practices, which it sounds like this guy is happy to participate in.

I have a rescue cocker who I absolutely adore, and when he's around people he knows and trusts he's a dream. But he's got major fear/anxiety/reactivity issues and a lot of it comes down to the fact that he came from a long line of dogs that had the same issues (genetics) and he was seized as part of a neglect case so he had a lot of trauma before he was even 8 weeks old. I always wonder how different his life would look if he'd had a much better start.

I also have a major soft spot for spaniels and my next dog will very likely be a spaniel breed of some kind, from a very thoroughly researched breeder lol.

@childman Yeah my springer is a rescue of sorts. I took her away from my mom who was abusing her, so she comes with all the baggage a typical rescue does. She's line crossed, which automatically makes her poorly bred. I had met the breeder and the family of dogs with my mom when she got the puppy (impulse purchase of course). Mom, dad, and aunt were at least all very well taken care of and well behaved, plus the breeder did know a lot about springers. I think she used to show them and did this litter for fun basically before fully retiring from the dog world, but it definitely wasn't a responsible way to have one last bit of fun.

I can say at the very least, she genetically and physically is extremely healthy. She blows the breed standard for height out of the water, but that could be from her being 50% field bred. She has neurotic behavior and can be aggressive, but idk if that's genetic or if that's from being kenneled like 20-23 hours a day and having her head slammed against walls 🤔

@thematthew Intact dogs are awful. I end up doing a lot of them because I’m the only male groomer in my salon (no idea if it’s a real thing, but a lot of them seem to listen to me better).

This past week I did an intact bichon who the owner was afraid to give over to me thinking he’d bite me. He was a little sketchy but never got aggressive with me at all, borderline affectionate at times even. He pulled like crazy for the face so it didn’t look great, but the owner was super grateful… genuinely seemed afraid of her dog.

When she picked up, she had her other dog with her… matted and HEAVILY pregnant. Yeah all possible sympathy gone.

Back