Double checking my breeder's advise..

guevaraj

My toypoodles breeder recommended TRESemmé shampoo and conditioner on my new puppy.

I'm a veterinarian and I was taught that the pH of dog skin is different and human products can cause irritation.

However, I'm also aware that Poodles have hair and not fur. Maybe there's benefits of using 'hair' products that im unaware of??? Since my dog has no skin condition, if professional groomers endorse this option, I'm going to follow the recommendation and give it a try.

Let me know what you think!

Ps if you have products you recommend for Poodles, I'd appreciate that a lot!!

Thanks

@guevaraj Definitely do not listen to that advice and follow what you were taught. There are sooo many amazing grooming products on the market formulated for a dogs coat that will do the job infinitely better than cheap super market human shampoo. That sounds like some old school BS. I personally use Bestshot products. Natures specialties and Chris Christensen also make amazing lines of shampoos and conditioners. But that’s for me over here in the US. Idk what’s available on foreign markets if your abroad…. But stick to animal formulated products!

@guevaraj Stick with animal specific formulated products .

I'm using millys at the moment (natutal , organic UK made ) and its gorgeous. I especially love their coconut and shea butter for poodles.

It's a high concentration 32:1 dilution ratio and its just really lovely to use .

@guevaraj I think its old advice from before dog shampoos were improved. I use doglyness which is a European brand but I have also heard good things about chris christensen, plush puppy etc.

You want to get a leave in conditioner and dilute it with water in a spray bottle to help with brushing.

@esmerelda Thanks for the tip! Plush puppy seems to be available in Australia too. I'll give it a go sometime.

Ahhh I was wondering what I was meant to use for brushing.

@guevaraj For brushing Plush Puppy OMG very diluted, Pinaud Eau De Quinine Regular very diluted or Crown Royale Condition Plus Concentrate all very diluted in a very fine mister. Or if there is an issue with static, I use crown royal bodifier also very diluted in a fine mister.

@guevaraj So there's actually been some work done on this and if you go around and test the pH of various dog and human shampoos there's a wide range that doesn't really follow well with which formula is for what species. In addition, dog products aren't regulated the same and don't have to put ingredients on the label. This is the reason I use manic panic instead of opawz, because I know what's in manic panic and I don't know what's in opawz.

If you got your toy from a show person, I'm not surprised they gave this advice. I have a standard poodle that I show and generally people use whatever shampoo works best for their specific dog. My dog with the water we have in my house right now is getting chris christensen with Lisa Leady mat magic, both of which are dog products, but I condition her with mane n tail from the drugstore. Sometimes if she's extra grody, we use some blue dawn, which regardless of what the internet tells you has 0 ingredients not also found in cosmetic products.

Other show people I know use everything from mane n tail to pantene to actual dog shampoo. It's all what works best for the dog and their coat. It's not at all uncommon that dogs owned by the same person will all get bathed in different products because they have different coat types and different products work well on different dogs. These are dogs that get bathed once a week who need top quality skin and hair health.

tl;dr it's unlikely that tresemme is going to hurt your dog.

@guevaraj Nooooo never use human grade shampoo for your dog always use a good quality dog shampoo! You can however use tearless baby shampoo in a pinch 👍

@guevaraj I love pet head here in the UK, Tropiclean have good reviews and we use Wahl and specifically formulated groom room shampoos in our salon as we’re corporate! Wahl do a lovely conditioner and ear cleaner as well as a whole bunch of different shampoos for copper coats, white coats, deodoriser, sensitive skin etc. It’s a decent price and quite easy to get hold of!

@guevaraj Oh yeah that’s the mucky puppy! That’s a fantastic deodoriser, we use it sometimes as an after spray if we couldn’t quite get any smells out around the mouth or armpits!

@adifferenttruth Yes.

Fur producing follicles transition from anagen phase to telogen phase to cease division at certain length. Where as hair remains in anagen phase and continue cell division hence continuing hair growth.

This is evident when you give chemotherapy to an animal as fur covered dogs will not lose fur through the therapy - as opposed to hair covered dogs such as poodles and shih tzu are susceptible to alopecia - loss of hair. (Funnily enough, cats will lose whiskers but not their fur for the same reasons.)

If there are physiological difference, then it is fair to consider the possibility that there is also a practical difference. I am respecting and asking your opinion as a professional of fur and hair.

I'm not sure if your comment was meant to be hurtful but it came across dismissive. I didn't like it very much.

@guevaraj I am a breeder and show dogs. I have many standard poodles. I wash many in Pantene Pro-V Fine Hair Sheer Volume Shampoo(diluted) and use Pantene Pro-V Classic Clean conditioner (very diluted). I also for show baths will use Dawn or Palmolive (Oriiginal formulas) dishwashing soap for first bath followed by either the Pantene or Tropiclean or Bio-Groom Super White Shampoo if my dogs need to be deoxidized. Show dogs get bathed weekly and have had no issues with doing this for years.

I also use TropiClean Aloe & Coconut Deodorizing Shampoo with just an occasional leave in conditioner/finishing product Nature's Specialties Fluff and Puff Re-Moisturizing Dog Spray. And Fresh-n-clean original (orange) for puppy baths (no conditioners as it is a moisturizing product) .

I have had no issues with using human formulas and many breeders, handlers, etc, use them. For me is depends on the dog and coat what I use. I am also on well water so that effects product choice as well.

Back