Don't wait to take your puppy places until they're fully vaccinated- Even if it's against vet advice!

kowon

I was pretty shocked when I took my new puppy to the vet and they told me not to take her off the property until she is fully vaccinated.

By the time puppies are fully vaccinated their socialization window has closed and you've missed the easiest time in a dogs life to acclimate them to the world!

Ironically, this vet deals with a lot of behavioral cases. Including my own two dogs on behavioral meds. One of them is a classic under socialized dog, who is suspicious and fearful of new things.

The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviorists have a very clear position statement that you should NOT wait until a puppy is fully vaccinated. Source below.

Should you willy nilly go anywhere? Probably not! But there are lots of ways to minimize risks.

Should you take your puppy into the dog park? No.

Can you observe dogs at the dog park from your car? Yes!!

Can you go to a park and put some towels down and observe the world pass by? Yes!!

Socialization is often mistaken as interaction. Don't make that mistake. Taking your puppy places to observe safely from a distance is fantastic!

I also highly recommend this book if you're new or unfamiliar with socialization. "Puppy Socialization: What It Is and How to Do It" by Marge Rogers and Eileen Anderson

My puppy observing people at a dog friendly coffee shop https://postimg.cc/dh8vFzQW

Observing cars and people at a playground from the backseat https://postimg.cc/WD398kyM

AVSAB statememt: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EQFnoECA0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2XurNlfNBdo52xkVahO4P5)

@kowon Vets are usually stricter than they need to be because a lot of people are stupid. If the vet says, "you can take the puppy to a shopping center, just make sure to carry them, and don't let them interact with other dogs there," some people are going to interpret this as "carry them 75% of the time, and it's ok if they just touch noses with another dog, since that's not really interacting."

@imagebeastmarkbeast It was tricky with my pup. I have ocd so if the vet says “don’t do x or y” I’ll go with don’t do x, y, or z “just to be safe”. Luckily my pup loves everything and everyone he’s ever met even though we were quite cautious with socialization

@imagebeastmarkbeast Same reason why they may pressure you into spay/neuter early, even tho more studies are showing it is healthier for the dog to wait. They see so many accidental, too young or poorly managed pregnant dogs, and put down so many strays a year because of irresponsible people, so of course they're going to be a bit proactive and aggressive about preventing that! They expect the worst case scenario, which sucks.

Too many vets have had to watch helpless as whole litters die of parvo, or as a well meaning but ignorant family sobs in the lobby after losing their brand new puppy to something so preventable.

@no1texan My vet said a year and a half for neutering, but she was really against socialization until he was fully vaxxed. I ended up ignoring the vaxxed aspect since every dog owner told me to, but he wont go near a dog park, or a bunch of dogs until he is fully protected. He is going to be ginormous though, so he needs to be comfortable with other dogs, at least with me as an owner since I am not strong enough to hold an angry 120 dog back if he decides to hate other dogs. He was supposed to be a 60 pound dog as an fyibfor anyone saying I shouldnt have taken on more than I can chew. Also he loves all dogs and people thus far.

@kylo28 Reputable breeders should actually have a pretty good idea of how big the dog will be when grown. They may still be off, but I'd expect them to be pretty good about being within an estimated range. They know their lines, and the dog's pedigree very well, and will be breeding for consistency.