Don’t give up- My dog has just started asking to go for a nap at 1.5 years old

brunilda

I was always confused by people posting about their pups wanting to nap, because mine didn’t. We had to force her to sleep otherwise she would become this overtired zoomie of crankiness. If she had a say, she would never sleep, but once she was in her crate for a few minutes she’d be out and cranky if we woke her up.

But today she sat on the stairs and immediately went up to the bedroom when I followed. And she trotted right to her crate and woofed for me to shut the door, and laid down.

We’re still working on getting her to relax outside of her crate, but it’s the little wins that make us feel like we have a dog and not a trex.

@brunilda This gives me hope. I see so many posts that are like ‘guys my 6 month old pup finally went for a nap/self settled etc.’ and I’m over here with my 10m old blue heeler who we still struggle to get to settle outside of his crate and have to force naps most of the time. I’m stressing that we’re doing something wrong, but this makes me feel less like a failure haha, so thank you