Dogs ate a PB&J

alabamawriter84

I am babysitting and I made a pb&j for the kids. The dogs got ahold of it. There are three of them, all about 60-70lbs. Im so scared that they’re going to die. What do I do?

@txthomas The dogs are giving OP a 5-star review when mom and dad come home. Also my hunch is that if the dogs are that grabby with food and there's small kids around they've probably eaten a lot of other crap (grapes or not).

@alabamawriter84 You are a very thoughtful and caring dogsitter - I'd hire you in a second.

But don't worry at all. In the 80's we didn't know any better and we fed our dogs stuff like PB&Js all the time. That wasn't a healthy long-term choice, but don't worry about a one-time or even an occasional thing.

@imagebeastmarkbeast It had grape jelly in it, that’s why I’m terrified right now. I notified their owner and called the vet and they both said that the dogs should be fine but to watch for vomiting. I’m so scared that I can’t take my eyes off the dogs

@alabamawriter84 You can probably rest easy if both owner and vet agree the dogs will be fine. 60-70 lb dogs are pretty sturdy when it comes to food, I’ve seen em mow through way worse than a third of a PBJ with no more than a few noxious farts to show for it.

@immela You're worried about the jelly, but there's not enough grape to hurt a dog within 3 normal servings.

You should check that the peanut butter doesn't use xylitol as a sweetener.

Xylitol is the true villain.

@immela Can confirm large dogs are pretty sturdy. Growing up, my spouse's family dog got a whole chocolate cake off the table. Dog was totally fine. All unattended food stayed well out of his reach after that.

@jonahmerchant12 My best friend’s pug ate an entire sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies. She called the vet in a panic, but the vet assured her that there probably wasn’t enough real chocolate in the cookies to hurt her. They still induced vomiting as a precaution, but the pug was absolutely fine.

@alabamawriter84 Oh, we don't have that in my country. Grapes can make dogs ill but doesn't necessarily mean he will fall ill, so just do what you're doing and keep an eye on him and keep your phone handy in case you need to ring the vet. Don't beat yourself up, happens to the best of us. Dogs are scavengers they snap up any old bit of food they find lying about.