Dog Training Post Attack

rdmarita

Dog Training Post Attack

My dog (pit bull/ great dane mix) is not necessarily a “reactive dog”. She’s very laid back, lazy, sleeps all day. She recently attacked my mom. She does not like being leashed, harnessed, restrained in anyway. My mom tried taking her for a walk, she attacked. It was a level 5 bite. Several bites puncturing the skin leaving major bruising. We have decided to keep her despite the attack. She is now on anxiety medication, but we know some behavioral work needs to be done.

A trainer I spoke to said she needs to “earn” her food, affection, play time etc. How do we go about this? What are some things we can do to help with her leash anxiety? We can’t take her to a professional trainer, most of them said they won’t work with her, and if they will- it’s going to cost us over $5,000.

Another thing, the dog will not listen to us. She is in charge. My mom is an absolute pushover when it comes to this. (I know this is one reason we are in this spot to begin with, please be kind.) How do we get commands to hold any weight?

Note: We do not have a fenced in yard, she needs to go for walks, to the park, etc for exercise. She will not let us leash her or harness her. We have been able to get her in the car by muzzling her and carrying her to the car. My mom is afraid of taking her out after the attack. We know that her being cooped up in the house will make her aggression worse. Any advice is appreciated.

@rdmarita I would seriously consider the quality of life for both the dog and your family. Dogs that attack people and need to be muzzled and carried to the car to leave the house are not happy. And your mother deserves to feel safe in her own home. To my mind- for a dog that inflicts that kind of damage over someone trying to put a leash on them, a serious conversation about behavioral euthanasia needs to take place.

But if you are keeping her- she needs a muzzle all the time, if she’s not in a crate she has a muzzle. How is she going to the bathroom if she won’t use a leash and you don’t have a fenced yard? Under no circumstances can you let this dog loose. Even beyond the moral implications of letting a dog run that you know will bite- legally now that she has a bite record you are going to be liable if anything happens. To the harness/leash issue leave it laying out and give tons of treats. Then hold it, and give tons of treats. Then touch her with it and give tons of treats…. It will likely be weeks on each step.

Ask yourself what happens when management fails? (Because humans make mistakes, management always fails) Can you live with the outcome of that?

@renie Please very seriously consider what this poster is saying. An 11 year old boy was killed recently in my city by dogs that had put someone in the hospital just a month prior. Do you want that on your conscience?

Also, consider if you are ready for your life to revolve around this dog for the rest of its life. Do you want a partner or children in the future? Will you want to move house, travel, or do anything other than tend to the needs of this dangerous dog. Because that is what you are signing up for if you don't want to seriously hurt or kill someone.

I know it is a painful decision, but unless you are willing to shell out for a professional trainer and still continue to live your life governed by your dog, the kindest thing is BE.

@rdmarita The amount of hands on experience, background knowledge, and environmental control required to keep this dog safely, is not something you and your mom (or the vast majority of people!) are going to be able to provide. I am quick to speak up for misunderstood dogs and slow to recommend putting them down, but...an adolescent GIANT pit mix already doing this kind of damage, and with these temperament issues, is a fatality waiting to happen. Odds are really high for someone to be badly mauled or worse.

Your best question should actually be, how do I get this dog safely taken to the vet, to be peacefully let go? Even that is not a simple, easy question to answer, and may require professional help.

@1s4b3ll4 Fatality waiting to happen, and it might not even be one of them. It could be someone innocent walking by. A kid visiting. A dog being walked outside. An elderly neighbor relaxing in their home. Someone's pet cat in their yard. This is why my dogs wear spiked collars on walks.

I know medical issues can cause dogs to bite, but I don't think anything over a level 3 bite can be excused by medical issues as it shows no bite inhibition. This dog is going to kill or seriously maul someone. And when it does happen, it's either going to have a painful death from self-defense or it'll be euthanized anyway.

@rdmarita $5k is NOTHING compared to what a lawsuit will cost you when this dog attacks someone else. And your insurance likely won’t cover you.

You should really consider WHY professional trainers won’t touch this dog. This is not a dog that you can learn on and make mistakes with. You will NEVER be able to trust this dog and no matter what you do, you absolutely cannot take this dog around other people or to a PARK.

@rdmarita Please go the route of behavioral euthanasia. It's the kindest option here unless you are serious about becoming a dog trainer yourself with the level of work you will need to put into keeping your pup. Aggression does not generally improve once that level has been reached, it generally gets worse, if you cannot manage the dog with any tools you are asking for a worse injury or fatal mauling

@wvcorley Exactly!! This is what happens when bloodsport breeds are normalized as pets. People think it’s your fault if your dog maims you because you weren’t strong enough or whatever. You know what my poodle does when I’m being a bit of a pushover? She’s just annoying that day, she doesn’t turn around and maul me or anyone in the household. this is not the behavior of a pet, and those of us who love dogs need to be much clearer about this. Some dogs are wired wrong and will never be safe animals. Mauling a household member to this degree is an unsafe animal that needs euthanasia, not training.

@rdmarita You do not blame your mom for being attacked by a PET. Pets don’t maul.

The only, ONLY responsible choice is behavioral euthanasia. This is an insane post, how is this even a question?

@maxptyson Absolutely. This post is so dangerous, it makes me nauseous. Put that dog down ASAP... Yes it's sad and sucks, but that is a very dangerous dog. Be responsible.

@lommakiter I feel like the normalization of bloodsport dogs as pets has made people think it’s normal for dogs to bite household members? It’s really not normal or safe, and we shouldn’t put up with it.

@maxptyson OP also posted in the reactive dog sub, and they mostly replied like it was a perfectly understandable pickle to find oneself in. The owners in that sub sound like beaten spouses most of the time. “Hi OP! Your hubby wouldn’t hit you if you had dinner on the table on time. There are no bad husbands, only lazy wives. Hope this helps 😇”.

I love dogs, but the term “bite history” shouldn’t have a reason to exist. Our expectations for our canine companions are in the gutter.

@one The reactive sub is trash. People will do anything except call their dogs aggressive or vicious. There are some dogs that are truly reactive, and you know what they don’t do? Maul household members. I’m so tired of people twisting what reactivity is and what acceptable dog behavior is.

We’ve always had to cull people-aggressive dogs and I don’t know when or why we’ve forgotten that.

@rdmarita How long have you had this dog?

A very large dog, who attacked @ a level 5? Please go read about what the implications are, going forward.

If this dog won't listen to you guys, and basically runs the family, she will bite someone again. Maybe your mom, maybe some kid.

I'd give your dog the best day ever, a huge meal from McDonald's and have your vet euthanize her. There is nothing that you are saying that is telling me that this dog can be made safe, in your home.

I'm sorry you are going thru this: please don't re-home this dog, or dither over things, and think it will somehow, magically get better. It won't, and you will still have a giant, dangerous dog, living in a home where no one can tell her what to do.

Back