Dog trainer made my dog yelp in pain

siobski

I believe my dogs trainer is hurting my dog by utilizing an e collar at the highest setting.

Long story short I have a 1.5 year old golden retriever who needs a bit of training, so I reached out to a local dog trainer with great reviews.
During the last training session he focused on teaching my dog to heel. My dog isn’t the worse on the leash, but he does pull when he sees something he wants to smell.
The trainer started off by shocking my dog each time he didn’t stay in a heel right next to him.
My dog yelped a few times and eventually sat down. He’s done this a few times, he sits and becomes stubborn, not moving until he goes where he wants. This time around he sat in what I’m guessing was fear, he didn’t want to walk with the trainer.
The trainer pulled on the leash and shocked my dog at the e collars highest setting until my dog came back to heel. I felt horrible! He was hurting my dog! I was afraid he was going to choke him.
I asked him if this was all necessary and he claimed my dog is smart and stubborn and doing this (sitting down) is his way of getting to where he wants.

My dog eventually started to stay in a heel in fear because every time he walked a bit ahead he was hit with a shock.

I’m really thinking about ditching this trainer. I have already paid him a non refundable fee but seeing him hurt my dog made me feel horrible.
I’ve tried training him myself with little luck but am continuing to do so without the e collar. Instead I use positive reinforcement when he does what he’s being asked.

Any advice, is the trainers way of teaching my dog correct? My family tells me that I treat my dog like a child and that he needs to learn the hard way sometimes but I can’t bear seeing him cry in fear. I’m scared he’ll eventually become a timid and fearful dog instead of the loving dog he is now. No judgement please.

@siobski Drop that trainer ASAP. Using adverse methods is not recommended and can actually make behavioral problems much worse. Your best bet is to find someone that uses positive reinforcement to increase the bond between you and your dog along with raising the dog’s confidence.

Here’s an awesome infographic I always recommend by AVSAB.

Best of luck.

@siobski No, this is a VERY outdated method of training where you are supposed to be the "alpha" and physically correct your dog into compliance through fear. There is no science behind this. Positive reinforcement training is the way to go, force free.

As my dog's trainer said: you can get your dog to do what you want without hurting it. It may take more time, but you want training to come from the inside out (positive reinforcement), not the outside in (abuse to fear).

Check out Zak George on YouTube, he has plenty of experience here.

@siobski Look at it this way. Your parents say you treat your dog like a child and he needs to learn the hard way how to act. This is basically equivalent to back in the day when parents believed the belt, wooden paddle, hanger, shoe or whatever else was used for a beating, would teach the child how to act right. Did it work? Sure but then you ended up with an entire generation that despised their parents for the beatings when they don’t do it to younger kids. My point is, your parents are trying to use old methods in a new age. It doesn’t work anymore but you still have to be firm. I definitely baby my dog a lot, but I have been more firm with her lately and there is progress. I just make sure to show her love in other ways besides giving her numerous treats. I’d drop the trainer and if you can leave a review somewhere, perhaps bring this tactic of his to light for any future dog owners.

@onlyonetruth Agree.

This is basically equivalent to back in the day when parents believed the belt, wooden paddle, hanger, shoe or whatever else was used for a beating, would teach the child how to act right. Did it work? Sure but then you ended up with an entire generation that despised their parents for the beatings when they don’t do it to younger kids.

Depends on how you define whether it “worked.”

That practice certainly kept a lot of therapists in business for decades, and those are only the people who either sought help or the courts mandated it. The damage is much deeper and more internalized than just despising parents, and lasts after the parents are long dead. You can ruin a human (or any other animal) by abuse like that, especially when they are developing.

@iamnobody58 Trust me I know. Could’ve gone on a longer rant but didn’t want to write an essay. All I can say is I have not done therapy and I know I a mountain of issues, as well as deep resentment since parents nowadays don’t beat their kids. Which yes, some parents take it way too far but now parents just let their little gremlins run around causing havoc and just throwing tantrums till they get their way. But this is a post about a dog, so you are gonna end up with a dog with major trust issues as well as anxiety and possibly more.

Thank you all for the comments. I have sessions with the trainer on a weekly basis but since this last session I’ve lost all confidence in him.
I’ll be reaching out to him to cancel any other sessions. He has great reviews online but if his way of teaching a dog commands is by instilling fear and pain I rather take my chances and continue to train him on my own.

@siobski Nope, I’d have stopped the session after the first yelp. This type of training does nothing more than create fear, which can lead to aggressive behavior. Dogs don’t yelp because they are being dramatic, they yelp when they are in pain. Find a trainer that teaches you to utilize positive reinforcement methods only. I say teaches you because your dog needs to learn how to listen to YOU, not a trainer, and you need to learn your dog’s unique personality and language. Once you both understand each other, training will be easy. The best way to stop your dog from pulling on the leash is to quietly and calmly turn them around the instant they pull (without yanking the leash). Dogs are all about forward motion. Turning them around to walk the opposite direction for a few seconds will get their attention far better than an e-collar. Not going to lie, you may get a little dizzy in the beginning, lol, but eventually your dog will come to understand that if he wants to move forward consistently, he has to walk nicely. Good luck, and ditch this ridiculous trainer.

@siobski Please, please, please, do NOT use a shock collar, ever. Fire the trainer immediately and look for a POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT trainer. Please, before more mental and physical damage is done to your dog.

@siobski Sounds wrong to me and I am someone who uses more old school methods myself. If the e collar is turned up to max its being used as a positive punishment, punishments don't teach new things they are for eliminating unwanted behaviour. Its unfair to punish a dog if they dont know what is expected of them in the first place. You can use them as negative reinforcment too (how I use our e collar mostly in fact) but it shouldnt need to be that high.

Does he know leash pressure? i.e. to move with the leash when he feels tension on it. If not put a leash on him at home with no distractions and have some treats on you but keep them hidden, dont want him following the treats for this. Add some gentle pressure to the leash. Chances are he will pull against it with oppositional reflex, dont worry just keep the pressure constant. The moment he gives in and goes with the leash "good boy!" and get the treats out to reward him. He should get the idea going with the leash is the right thing to do.

That should set the leash up as more of a communication device between you and the dog. From there you need to find some way of telling him walking next to you is what you want. I like to do lots of rapid direction changes, lots of praise when they are next to you or following behind. When they get ahead change direction. Or you could try a few backwards steps untill he is level with you than walk forwards again, rewards/praise when in the right place.

Once he is 100% clear on what you expect of him you can maybe think about adding in some more negative reinfocment or punishers but most dogs wont need it to be honest. Its not like you have a dog aggressive pitbull or a psyco Mal where perfect obiedience is essential.