Dog gave birth to a still born an hour ago and hasn’t delivered any others yet should I be concerned

@gusbus It’s a huge misconception that nature will work itself out when dogs give birth. There are plenty of complications that require the intervention of humans. With a stuck puppy, you aren’t going to have time to get to the vet and save it so your best course of action is to try to pull it out (watch videos on how to do this, you don’t want to just be tugging willy nilly) and then take mother to the vet in between puppies so they can decide what’s best to do.

I’m glad she has had two seemingly healthy puppies but it sounds like no one in the home was really prepared for this birth or what could go wrong and that worries me. She’s not in the clear yet if she hasn’t delivered them all. The first one maybe have just been too large but if she’s straining hard and not producing a pup within 20 minutes of that hard straining that’s a problem.

Also, don’t let her sit on the puppies in the birth canal, wtf.

@sqs1 Yes we got it under control and got her to the vet. the rest of the puppies were taken out in the césarien. 5 healthy puppies survived. It was a traumatic birth she punctured her gall bladder and ruptured her bladder in the process but it was all corrected through surgery.

@gusbus It's very much dependent on how many pups the bitch is carrying. Do you know how many pups she expecting? Knowing mom is a brachy breed mix this isn't one I would wait and see with, things can get very bad very fast.

@drsharles She was never taken to the vet I don’t think. There was 9 puppies in total. One of them was apparently passed for a while in there. Horrible situation I hope they never breed puppies again.

@gusbus This post was 17 hours ago, and I hope mom and the rest of the puppies survived and are doing well. Please convince your friend to get the mom fixed asap!! It sounds like they should not be breeding dogs.

@wellandfit I left for work in the morning and she was still going with 4 healthy puppies out. Sabbath ended and someone took her to the vet (thank goodness). We were calling and urging all night but they didn’t want the cost of the vet if it wasn’t needed (the owner should not have been breeding puppies). The rest of the babies were stuck and she needed a C-section. Her gallbladder has bursted and her bladder was also ruptured, she was not in good condition. In the meantime the four healthy puppies were weaning in between breaks of her pushing. She got the proper surgery to fix all the issues and they removed the 4 remaining puppies. One of them had passed long before the birth and one more healthy puppy was taken out. A rescue organization offered to take her and the pups in to pay for all the needed surgery and find them a foster family until they can be put up for adoption. Mom will be fixed and hopefully that family will never breed puppies again.

Back