Dog food recommendations

youfailme

Looking for dog food recommendations for a 2.5 y/o pit mix with a sensitive stomach. Currently on PPP sensitive skin and stomach lamb and oatmeal. She loves it, but her poop is chronically too soft (no other issues). We tried the PPP salmon and sweet potato, but her poop was still soft and it gave her terrible gas and breath. She’s sensitive to chicken- we tried boiled rice and chicken to settle her stomach and it gave her awful diarrhea and gas.

Looking for a chicken free food that may help firm up her stool!

Edit to add: We have spoken to our vet about this issue. We’ve had bloodwork and stool samples tested (2x). No underlying medical issues as far as the vet can tell. Her advice was to use a daily probiotic (which we do, but it doesn’t seem to help).

@youfailme If your dog has chronic GI issues then you really need to work with a vet on the underlying cause of those issues. You likely need to do an elimination diet with a prescription hydrolized protein diet. IF the issue is chicken (which is very rare) then you’ll likely need a prescription diet long term as ALL regular retail diets risk cross contamination of ingredients.

If the issue is not chicken but another GI issue, that will open up your range of options to other retail diets like Hill sensitive stomach options (though they do have a pollock and insect chicken free retail diet you could try — it would still risk cross contamination).

A few potential GI options that require an rx could be Hills I/d, Hills gastro biome, RC digestive care, RC gastro, Purina EN.

Fwiw my dog had consistent GI issues that were ruled out as food sensitivities with an elimination diet. He is now completely normal and stable on Hills Gastro Biome

@sevilodorf After three months of on and off GI issues after a second TPLO surgery (the first one three months prior was perfect), including regurgitation, diarrhea, and anorexia, all the standard GI treatments, including a full specialized GI blood panel and x-rays, really didn't give us any answers. We tried a ton of different foods as well. The vet prescribed Hills Gastro Biome and it was (and continues to be) magic. Zero issues since starting the food. I will forever recommend it for any GI issues.

@youfailme We tried those very same foods and had a lot of those very same issues.
We are now using Hills lamb and brown rice adult 1-6 years. Skin and stomach issues have finally relented, her coat is soft and shiny and her poops are “picture perfect!”

@birdiie I just wanted to update and say that Hills Lamb and Brown Rice has totally changed the poop game for us! We’re 7 days into our transition (doing a slow transition because of her stomach issues) and her poops are already 10x better!! I’ve also noticed her coat seems softer, and of course most importantly she goes crazy for it at meal time

@youfailme So glad it helped! I know it’s been a game changer for us! Lot easier to pick up “poop turds” than “poop puddles!!” 🤣

PS thank you for the update!!

@youfailme Consider cutting calorie intake back slightly. PPP is a rich diet and overfeeding by just a little bit can result in loose stool. If that doesn’t work, she may need a prescription diet.

@ernestcop Thank you for the advice! We thought this might be the case and cut back slightly (from 3/4cup per meal to just under), but she’s already a bit on the thinner side of healthy and she dropped weight quickly. I think we’re going to switch her to a less rich diet before going the prescription route

@youfailme My vet recommended adding Bernie’s perfect poop to the PPPSSS and it did wonders for my bully mix (who has the bully stomach/loose stool/toxic gas. By adding the one supplement I’ve even been able to transition her to PPP sport (she’s not a big eater and super active so keeping her at a healthy weight can be a struggle with non sport foods). Obviously run it by your vet before trying but it has digestive enzymes, probiotics, pumpkin, grass etc all in one which for me is awesome as well since it’s literally just 1 scoop per meal and done (she’s sensitive to change so if there’s going to be changes in her life or high stress I add a second scoop… I added my own scoop the portion for her is 1-2 tbsp and the scoop I put in my bag is 1tbsp).

The next step was prescription food but thankfully we didn’t have to get there.

@gabby777 It wasn’t long… solid 💩 and less gas within a few days, reduced gas within 2-3 weeks to barely noticeable (previously toxic lol) but the big thing I noticed was the lack of diarrhea due to stress/change. I noticed that about a month later but there wasn’t really opportunity before that really. I didn’t expect it to fix that at all. We had been using the PPPSSS for about 4-5 months prior to adding the Bernie’s so it was definitely the Bernie’s that took us to the point of being “cured” but the food alone had a massive impact as well. My girl used to get the runs from anything and everything… she was sensitive to foods but also change… even changing the route of our daily walk or a small routine change would set her stomach off. No other sign of anxiety or anything she never acted stressed but her 💩 went runny and often yellow. The PPPSSS took care of most of that and a bit of the gas as well so it was a combination of both not just the Bernie’s.

@theonemelly Thanks for the. Advice. I ordered the Bernie’s. I’m having the same issue. Our guy acts completely normal but he has bad gas and very mushy poop no matter what we give him.

Back