Dog food recommendations?

marissa777

I have 2 dogs a golden retriever (5.5 years old, 88 lbs) and a Potcake (4 years old, 65 lbs).

I’d fed them Blue Buffalo for years, but a trainer we recently worked with informed us that it was really low quality dog food and suggested we switch to a high quality brand. She recommended Open Farm, so we made the switch.

Dogs seem happy on Open Farm, but DAMN it is expensive ($126 per bag that lasts 16.5 days).

I’m looking to switch them again to a higher quality food that isn’t as expensive as Open Farm. I’m thinking I’d Purina Pro Plan, but I keep seeing mixed reviews.

Any suggestions on a good quality dog food? Neither dog has allergies or sensitivities.

@marissa777 I feed Purina Pro plan shredded blend, we switched to the senior formula yesterday. He really likes the shredded pieces in it. It was on sale yesterday at Petco $20.50 for 6# bag $4 off

@marissa777 Unfortunately trainers do not have any education in pet health that qualifies them to recommend food.

Open Farm doesn't employ appropriate expertise, doesn't conduct feeding trials, and uses a giant co-packer to manufacture their diets which necessarily reduces the oversight and quality control they have over that process. It's expensive because it's a big marketing machine.

Purina is one of the few brands that meets the highest standards in terms of employing expertise and conducting research. I'd go with that over Open Farm in a heartbeat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DogFood/wiki/index/start/

@marissa777 I recently switched one of my dogs to Hills Science Diet and the other two to Pro Plan and I’ve noticed a drastic improvement in all of them! Their coats look better, they have more energy, and the ones with joint issues are moving better.

Back