Dog aggression towards puppy

tsnkongho

Hi all,

I recently started taking care of a puppy and there is one dog in particular that growls at my puppy. The dog then proceeds to bite my dog relatively aggressively and this has happened every single time we see this dog now. I understand that my puppy can zoom right in front of another dog and most dogs do not appreciate that and if that dog bites my puppy in that scenario, I understand that it’s my puppy’s fault.
The reason why I bring this up is because there have been multiple cases of that dog and my puppy being about 2 feet away from each other and the dog still growls then pounces and attempts to bite my puppy. He’s been bitten on several occasions now (no bleeding... yet) and so this only makes me wonder, is it worth it to have these two dogs get along? I don’t want my dog to a. Learn this type of behavior and potentially hurt another dog and (more importantly) b. be in a lot of pain. Thanks in advance!

@tsnkongho I would absolutely stop bringing my dog around any dog that behaves that way! You don’t want your puppy to learn to expect other dogs to behave that way because that will make them fearful- naturally! Find more friendly dogs for your puppy to socialize with and keep this dog separated from your puppy.

@giilife To be quite honest, I completely agree and I have been distancing my puppy away from that dog as much as I can (it really doesn't help that the owners of the dog in question visit us so we basically see this dog every weekend). Thank you for the tip though!

@tsnkongho It's not worth it. Dog-aggressive dogs take a hell of a lot of training and careful handling and even then, the best you can generally hope for is for it to tolerate other dogs. Stop putting your poor puppy in a position where it gets bitten by what it certainly sees as a terrifying dog.

@belyse I agree, the end result is just so bad compared to if my puppy would have opportunities to interact with other objectively well-behaved dogs/puppies. I really hope that the dog owner really understands where I'm coming from when I have to bring this up again.