Does this breeder seem legit/ethical? Responses seem suspicious but unsure

hand_of_grace

Helping a friend find a reputable Golden Retriever breeder. Sent him a whole list but he seems set on this one that was recommended by someone else he knows and I’m getting weird vibes. Am I judging too quickly? I’m learning and new to this. Please help!

Breeder: “Mom's hips and elbows are ofa and dad has been "pinned”. They're akc registered, parvo shot given, distemper given, dewormed, declaws removed, microchiped and vet health checked by 8 weeks! this is her 2nd litter! They’re 8 weeks on April 3rd. That's when they can leave.
Dad's have been "pinned" that they will pass ofa.”

When asked what “pinned” means: “Pinned means they had the same xtray at 1 yr old and they decide then if they'll pass or not”

She provided Mom’s (Lily) papers:
Name: Lily of Valley Mill

OFA Database says:
Elbow: Normal
Hips: Good

I told my friend to ask her for heart and eye clearances.
I guess this was her response to the lack of clearances of the Dad. She responds, “I dont have them physically. I've worked with his owner in the police department for 12 years. And he got them pinned. He was only a year old then. U can not get them officially ofa until they're 2. The vet passed them Hes up to date on all of his vaccines, ect. This is my 2nd litter with him”

I’m also not seeing the grandparents (Mama Lily’s parents) clearances when I searched in the database. Is that a red flag? Maybe I didn’t search correctly.

Please help :(

@hand_of_grace There's a million amazing goldens out there. There's no reason to use a male that is under 2 years old without all the health clearances. There's no reason to get a Golden puppy when the parents don't have heart and eye clearances. A pinned hip is something that happens when the hip gets broken, lol, so IDK how the breeder is using this term. Is it possible the breeder said "prelim-ed" but your friend misheard as "pinned"? Or maybe the breeder is the one who misheard "prelim-ed"--not a great sign. This person sounds like a backyard breeder who is trying to do right, but doesn't really know what they're doing. Personal connection with the owner seems to be taking precedence over the health of the male. Having the parents not show up in the OFA database is also indicative that Lily is from a BYB but this breeder is trying to do better than Lily's breeders did.

You may want to tell your friend that some lines of Goldens are prone to somewhat severe aggression that can appear at 2+ years old. If the dad isn't 2 yet, he could have a temperament problem waiting to surface. Nobody wants to put their 2-3 year old dog down for aggression, so tell your friend to pump the brakes and find a puppy with both parents older than 2.

Back