Does “popping” or “cracking” my dog’s joints help ease the pressure on them?

duodokkans

He is a mixed border collie and German shepherd. 9 years old. It came from a thought I had after adjusting my self and after I accidentally moved my dog and he popped his hip joint, it seems like it didn’t bother him one bit.

Is it hurtful? Is it beneficial? Thanks in advance.

P.S. if you could please state your education( vet nurse etc.) after an answer. Thanks in advance!

@duodokkans Maybe. The trouble with humans doing it is we could very easily hurt them or force it. Even humans popping other humans joints isn't advised because of this and we can talk to one another.

Honestly it a dog does it themselves occasionally I wouldn't worry. If they are doing it often I would take them to the vet to have a look. It could be an indication of pain.

In all there is a reason why vets don't prescribe it.

@duodokkans Not sure but its generally accepted that us as humans shouldnt crack joints. I wouldnt give it a try. If you believe your dog is uncomfortable or something like that consult your vet.

@barewitness I don’t know, cracking joints hasn’t been proven harmful in humans, nor has it been proven beneficial. It’s just popping gas bubbles within the joints. But using excessive force could certainly prove to be harmful.

@familybooster Hmm i guess your right. I cant remember anybody telling me cracking was bad besides my grandmother. Either way just like you said id stay away from any forced manipulation. I have a 2 year old and i found out theres baby chiropractors. I have no intention to have my 2 year old get an adjustment.

Back