Docking Puppy Tails?

lumiere

Hello. I've been looking into adopting and breeding Old English Sheepdogs in the far future. Something that has been on my mind recently is docking puppy tails. Ik that this practice can be seen as inhumane but I want to learn more about both sides of the story. No need to be rude or aggressive.

I asked this question on r/oldenglishsheepdogs but I would like to ask it again. I've seen different resouces saying that OES are born with tails and others are born without tails. So far I've only been told that OES are born with tails that are usually docked. Would anybody have any information on if OES can be born without tails?

Anyway, I am mainly currious about docking puppies's tails:

1.) How is it done? I've seen that some cut them off with scissors while others wrap a rubber band around it. Are there other ways? If you agree with tail docking which method would you think is better?

2.) How long should the bob be cut? I've seen some measure the tail at 2 inches but that just doesn't seem like an accurate place to cut.

3.) Is this something a vet can do or do I need to do this?

4.) What are the benefits or issues reguarding tail docking? What are some precautions?

5.) Does a docked tail make a difference in the price of a puppy? (Im not into breeding for the money. I'm just curious)

Remember, if you don't agree with this no need to be rude. I'll appreciate a concerning opinion and facts but do not be rude and try to force me not to dock. That will get you nowhere.

If you have information about docking for me but do not want to make a public comment I would appreciate a private message.

Thank you so much!

@lumiere 1.) How is it done? I've seen that some cut them off with scissors while others wrap a rubber band around it. Are there other ways? If you agree with tail docking which method would you think is better?

You've named the two primary ways. I don't think there are others, but I'm not certain. I've been told (anecdotally) that the rubber band method is easier on the puppies and that they appear to show no response to it. I've heard nothing about the other method, as it's typically done by a vet, in my experience.

2.) How long should the bob be cut? I've seen some measure the tail at 2 inches but that just doesn't seem like an accurate place to cut.

It depends on the need of the breed and what the standard calls for. Aussies are docked for work-related safety reasons, and thus, their tails are docked very short. (Even the naturally bobbed dogs' tails are usually still too long.)

3.) Is this something a vet can do or do I need to do this?

A vet can absolutely perform the procedure for you, and it's not uncommon to go this route. In fact, in my experience, most breeders prefer to have the procedure completed by a vet. It is worth noting that the procedure is usually completed within the first 1-3 days of life.

4.) What are the benefits or issues reguarding tail docking? What are some precautions?

Again, the benefits depend on the breed. For the Aussie, it's a safety thing. As far as issues; besides the fact that people will blindly and vehemently oppose you in ignorance, I cannot think of one. All of the claims (that I now of) against it are outright false or at best twisted truth.

This is worth reading, I think: https://www.asca.org/home/legislati...-talking-points/docking-cropping-and-declaws/

Once the procedure is done, there's some mild after care while it heals, same as any other procedure. It's only a few days as far as I'm aware, though.

5.) Does a docked tail make a difference in the price of a puppy? (Im not into breeding for the money. I'm just curious)

It shouldn't, but people will (usually successfully) market anything. For a working breed, you may find that people who intend to use them for work may not purchase undocked puppies at all though.

For myself, I'd be loathe to run an Aussie with stock because I'd be terrified of the dog's tail being bitten or grabbed, resulting in the need for amputation, which is a far worse and more more impactful issue. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... and in this, docking is the prevention, and amputation is the cure.

@jeffwilly001 Thanks alot for all this information! It's always good to be more enlightened about what what I plan on doing. I'll probably have the puppies tails docked for safety like you said. It would also be good to have them docked so I have more of a variety of people purchasing them. Thanks again!

@lumiere If you’re going to dock tails, you need to check with the laws where you live. Some locations have outlawed it, so it’s best to check first. Even if you are legally allowed to, there are people who get very worked up over seeing a docked-tail, cropped ears, or dewclaws removed. Honestly, for some working breeds, it’s more than preferences or for cosmetic reasons. But still, some people don’t think dogs should work.

Now with that out of the way, if it is still something you can do yourself if your comfortable with it. If not, your vet can do it. We had an awesome rural vet that even taught my mother how to do it herself. Emotionally, she had to psych herself up for it, and I remember being about 8 or so and helping her out with it. We never banded, so I don’t have any recommendations on that. We docked day 3 and did dewclaws same day and it was over and done. If you aren’t comfortable with the process, take a litter to the vet and see if they will walk you through it and show you how it’s done. There may still be vets out there who will show you how.

@sustainableblueberry Thanks! This helps a lot. I feel like if I do decide to dock the tail then I should be there with the vet when the process is done. Especially so I can learn more about it. It also feels wrong to have the vet do it just bc I dont want to do it myself.

Also, some people think that dogs shouldn't work? Really? I feel like some breeds are born to work and thrive doing it