[Discussion] Owning dog with 8 h work

truthandlove

Hello together,

Me and my GF really want to have a dog. We are both 23, upper middleclass (income, flat, ...) and are 7 years together.

Both of us are pretty responsible - so we dont want to „Pick a living being and just try it“.

Problem is: Both of us work 8 hours a day, which means the dog would be alone for this time.

I know that it‘s pretty shit for a dog to stay alone so long but is there someone here with a similar problem? How do you handle it?

Sorry for my bad English :)

Edit: We both know we would have to go out with the dog before work, after work and in the evening.

@truthandlove The dog is better off with you away for a workday then dead in a shelter. Too many pet dogs in the world as it is. Better less than "ideal" (whatever that means), than the alternative. Sounds like you have your shit together for 23.

@truthandlove An adult, housetrained dog can last during an 8-hour work day without a problem. The problem comes when you have to work overtime or want to go out after work/socialize with friends, and he ends up being alone much longer. So, it depends on what you are willing to do to give him a good life in the time before and after work and on weekends that will tell you whether it's a good idea for the dog. Only you know you :)

As for hiring help or using daycare. Around me you can't find anything less than $15/day, so about $300/month +/- depending on the market where you live.

@jedi4christ I'm planning on doing daycare once or twice a week just to give my recently adopted pup a break during the week from being home alone. I feel like every day daycare is excessive.

@jedi4christ Standard reddit reply: I dont have friends :) :D

We actually think about the dog because we moved away and wanted a true new friend in our life - a dog would fit this hole pretty good. Sounds dumb, but it‘s also a little bit preparation for kids and so on. We hope that the dog will show us some new activities, we didnt know we liked!

Thank you so much for the money span for the daycare! It helps to categorize this a little bit.

@truthandlove I’ve got greyhounds which are a much larger option then a jack Russell. However they are much more low key. My dogs love to snooze all day, and tend not to be destructive because they aren’t high energy.

High energy breeds if they aren’t getting what they need in terms of stimulation and energy outlet then they develop behavioral problems or destructive habits.

My greyhounds stay at home when we are gone during the day. They lay on their beds and sleep together. Maybe they get up for twenty minutes to toss around a toy. I invested in a pet cube to check on them during the day, and honestly they don’t do much. They’re already happy to go on a walk, and don’t need too much exercise, they’re short burst dogs, not endurance. Mine have no problem with holding it until we get home. They’re taken out right before we leave and the moment anyone gets home.

Whatever you do end up doing I recommend getting a dog who is over a year. Puppies require so much constant attention and have such a small bladder. My brothers puppy gets herself into all sorts of trouble and has to pee every twenty minutes.

Whatever you decide good luck! And this sub will be here to help!

@spedteach Thank you for your experience!
We are actually looking for one year or older. We both know that puppies need a little bit more time, which we sadly can‘t offer. That‘s why we dont want to leave the little pup alone. Our heart wouldnt stand this

@truthandlove
puppies need a little bit more time

That's an understatement; puppies will completey dominate your life for a while as you wake up hourly to take them out to pee and manage their high needs and deal with all their biting and playful energy before they are vaccinated enough to burn it off playing in public dog spaces. We got our pup while I was off work and able to dedicate myself to him and it was still exhausting!

@spedteach I never particularly liked greyhounds but the more I meet the more I appreciate the breed. There is (sadly) an endless supply of them that need rescuing in Australia because of Greyhound racing and they all seem relaxed until they go into hyper-fast mode at the park.

@iphonetrabaohanh Yeah. They’re a really kind and gentle breed. I love them so very much. Their conditions at the race tracks and the farms they are bred and trained at are usually deplorable conditions. They really usually have a bad existence before their homes. They have a really special place in my heart.

@cre8id It would be okay. We’ve gone for three miles before. It’s totally all about conditioning though. If they can’t do it you gotta work them up to it.

@spedteach How much space do they need realistically?

My fiancé and I are starting to look into getting a dog for when we move next year. I've owned dogs but it will be her first so I was trying to decide on a breed that's calm, but also that we can take outside frequently (we live by a lot of nature and I'd like to take him for runs or bikerides).

The only issue is that where I live it gets really really cold and I'm worried the dogs coat won't protect him enough from the snow :(

@truthandlove For most adult dogs 8-9 hours alone is fine. I keep my dog confined to a crate because she is happier and calmer inside that when we are gone, rather than free roaming. She doesn't see me for 10.5 hours a day and my SO walks her midday for a quick pee and then typically puts her away again.

If you're looking for particular breeds or more direct suggestions I recommend you do the breed questionnaire from the side bar.

@truthandlove Make a post for a suggestion. I adopted a senior Jack Russel mix (over 50%, he also had some cocker spaniel) that was high energy and had a hard time with an 8 hour day without a break to pee and run. I got someone to take him out twice per week with a dog pack and it helped significantly.

They're great dogs. My friend's JR is going on 18 years of being a loving family member :)

@wernalip I will fill the form later to see what matches to our life cycle. We both like the JRs but we read about his high activity too. Maybe a different one will be better!