[Discussion] Consent and R+ 2.0 in K9 Sports/Training

@davecb I'm a total novice to dog sports, but while I agree with you that a dog being brought to trial should be ready to trial—is it worse or better to back out if the dog isn't, for whatever reason, ready on that trial day?

I think it's better to leave. What do you gain by pushing your dog to trial when they've said no?

Like, before I brought my dog to his first nosework trial I had reasonable expectations he'd be successful. We'd trained a lot, done many novel environments, people who saw him work and were more experienced encouraged me to try. We felt ready.

So I would've been disappointed if my dog had said "no" on the actual day-of. But I wouldn't have pushed him—I would have taken his no as a sign that we were not, in fact, ready, and re-evaluated our training before I brought him back. Forcing him to work wouldn't have taught him anything other than that trials weren't fun and I wasn't fun to work with.

@davecb I mean, your example of not loading into a crate is pretty acceptable in the scope of this conversation. Some things are just life, and they have to happen, and if you think your dog will say no, then don’t ask and ruin that concept there. But this...

When we walk into the ring, we are a team, and the issue of consent is not on the table.

That’s not a team. A team revolves around both parties and if one party wants to opt out, it should be able to. I would hope a team captain would be able to make the call to walk out of the ring if their dog were showing signs of not wanting to play the game. Because that’s this is at the end of the day: a game. And that’s kind of the point of this conversation here, treating your teammate as an equal and understanding when they do or do not choose to play. Other aspects of life that need to happen like vet exams and getting into the car, those aren’t really a part of the conversation here.

@theodor98
That’s not a team. A team revolves around both parties and if one party wants to opt out, it should be able to. I would hope a team captain would be able to make the call to walk out of the ring if their dog were showing signs of not wanting to play the game. Because that’s this is at the end of the day: a game.

Part of being the team captain is that it's my job to train and inspire my team mates to bring their A game when we do compete. I work really hard on that, from the time my dogs are babies. By the time we walk into the ring for our first trial, I have a dog who really really wants to play with me.

I am sort of unique amongst my friends in that I do not compete as often as we could. We go to a trial, I see what we have, we spend some time working on any issues or bumps. And for me, that's taking care of my team mate, my dog. I ask for him to be on point, but I don't tell him it's weekend after weekend. I tell him do your best, we'll see what we have, and go from there. I often don't even enter a trial, till we have gotten thru a weekend, as I want to figure out exactly what we'll do next.

We did our first AKC obedience trial last week. We won a large Novice class, and he did a great job, but I know what I want to work with so we don't miss a HIT. He won't be back in the ring again till maybe July. And until then we'll work on those things that cost us a half point here and there.

That's way off topic, but again, by training that way, I know I have a dog with me when I go into the ring, a dog who is engaged, and interested in playing with me, and working with me.

For me, the issue of consent is not really there, since I've taught him since he was a puppy that I'm fun to play with, and the made up human games are fun. Consent in that case is a given. I have a dog who wants to work with me, because that's the ultimate fun he can have.

And again, what I'm seeing from people who are deeply involved in R+ 2.0 is probably not what the innovators of it really had in mind. I'll be curious, when they come back from camp in PA in a few weeks, if I see any modifications to what they're doing now. What I'm seeing now is probably not what they had in mind.

Finally it is different if someone is not working with a dog from 8 weeks. There's a great deal more that has to go into motivation and bonding for dog sports. There's more that has to be unlearned. But a puppy who has been raised to be a sports dog, from a breeder who knows what she's doing? There is less of a chance of a, "make me!" attitude.

@davecb You...really don’t understand consent at all, do you? Walking into the ring with a confident dog that’s ring ready and wants to play the game does not mean there’s no room for consent.

Let me give you an example. Two weeks ago, a masters level dog left the ring not once, but twice. This dog showed to the owner multiple times that it wanted to opt out, but the owner kept pushing. Until the dog said fuck it, and left the ring. This dog has never had this problem before. I have observed this dog run many times and it was nothing but a happy and eager team player. But that day, it wanted to opt out. And the owner ignored it until the dog made more drastic decisions for her.

So again, I say, you don’t understand consent. This has nothing to do with how many weekends you do or do not trial. How many Qs you have. How many HIT you can get. It has to do with respecting your teammate and doing what’s best for them. If you manage to walk into the ring every single time and feel that your dog is consenting to be there, good for you! Don’t shit on those that don’t feel that way and choose to give their dog’s the respect they deserve by listening to them.

@theodor98
Let me give you an example. Two weeks ago, a masters level dog left the ring not once, but twice. This dog showed to the owner multiple times that it wanted to opt out, but the owner kept pushing. Until the dog said fuck it, and left the ring. This dog has never had this problem before. I have observed this dog run many times and it was nothing but a happy and eager team player. But that day, it wanted to opt out. And the owner ignored it until the dog made more drastic decisions for her.

But is that lack of consent or, the dog felt like crap that day, and the handler was too hyper focused on a QQ or points? If the handler was paying attention, s/he should have seen stress signals well before they went into the ring, if this was a Masters dog. Even someone who trains sans any concept of consent, but with an understanding of animal husbandry, should have seen what was happening with the dog.

In the instance you mention above, that sounds like a dog who is sore, or worn out, or has something going on. And that's on the handler to see that at the practice jump, say, "shit", and scratch the dog.

So again, I say, you don’t understand consent.

I'm pretty sure I do, but I also think that long before you walk into the ring to compete, that's A Thing that should have been worked on. I get consent: not every dog will be a world beater, and some will tell you, "I'm trying but I can't do this". I get that: what I don't get is once you and the dog know each other, really know each other, how it is still an issue.

If you have a dog who muddles thru Novice in obedience or a JH in the field, and then can't figure out a water blind, or the broad jump, and just can't do it, the handler has a few options. Train with someone who really knows how to teach a dog these things, keep entering trials or tests hoping there will be a miracle, or find another sport or whatever, that the dog and the human can do.

The first and the third options are a good try: the second one is silly but I'm sure we've all seen it. And what I'm seeing now is people doing that second option (entering a dog who has not a chance in hell of working well), and looking for consent, at the start of a run. And for me, if that dog said in training, I can't do the broad jump or I can't do a water blind, why then did the owner persist in entering?

Don’t shit on those that don’t feel that way and choose to give their dog’s the respect they deserve by listening to them.

I'm not: but I stand by what I've said. If this is your first sports dog, then it may well be that looking for consent, especially in an actual competition, may muddy the waters of, "did I actually train the dog, and communicate to him what his job is and what my job is".

At the trial I was at last week, the first dog in Novice B? As soon as they got to the off leash heeling, that dog went on a zoom around the ring, evading everyone, and then jumping over the ring gates and out of the ring.

I don't see that as lack of consent: I see that as a stressed dog, who didn't want to be there, and who had an owner who was determined to trial anyway. And as soon as the dog had a choice, his choice was to leave. And that's 100% on the owner, for not reading her dog better, and knowing that she really hadn't shown the dog how to deal with stress, and work thru it, and, as well, trust the handler to keep demons at bay.

Maybe people who work with the idea of consent would have seen that at the start of the routine and asked to be excused? I don't know. I think if the handler had been more in tune with her dog, she would have known well before they went into the ring (as with that agility handler you mentioned), that the dog was not up to it.

And again, I don't see that as consent, I see that as understanding dogs, and especially, knowing what your teammate is about.

I am not shitting on the idea of consent: but I think people do have to parse the difference between consent and, the dog is not trained for the task at hand, and the human is tossing them into the ring, to see if anything good will happen. The dog won't magically decide on that day to consent to run perfectly, if the human part of the team didn't hold up her end. In other words, if you didn't train a drop on recall, or a blind cross while your dog is in the weaves, or whatever, you won't suddenly have a dog in a trial who knows these things. There's a big difference between consenting to work with the human (which I think is something that needs to be worked on long before you compete), and consenting to somehow know what the job is, if the human didn't hold up her end of the deal.

And that's what I'm seeing. Part of that may be that there's a difference between working with a trainer who knows what she's doing with these concepts, and on your own deciding how to implement them.

Finally, as I said before, I am big on toys, food, play, shaping. And I also pay attention to, "is the dog enjoying this or not." I've seen too many people shove toys at dogs who didn't want them, or continuously up the food quality for a dog who was not interested in food. That's wrong to me, as it means the handler didn't actually see what the dog thought.

@davecb
But is that lack of consent or, the dog felt like crap that day, and the handler was too hyper focused on a QQ or points? If the handler was paying attention, s/he should have seen stress signals well before they went into the ring, if this was a Masters dog. Even someone who trains sans any concept of consent, but with an understanding of animal husbandry, should have seen what was happening with the dog.

That's consent though! The dog kept telling her "I don't want to" and she ignored that. The dog was not consenting to the game and constantly told her "no" and she did not take that "no" as an answer.

And again, I don't see that as consent, I see that as understanding dogs, and especially, knowing what your teammate is about.

Again, that's consent! Knowing when your teammate says "no" and respecting that feeling is consent! I don't understand how someone who says they know what consent is doesn't get that.

I get that: what I don't get is once you and the dog know each other, really know each other, how it is still an issue.

Knowing your dog is how you are capable of allowing your dog to give consent.

I am not shitting on the idea of consent

But you did...

I have friends who have, IMHO taken consent way past what it should be. As a result they wind up in the ring, with a dog who they think says no, and they excuse themselves, instantly.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said: people need to know their dogs, not push them to do things they don't understand too early, not force rewards they don't want, etc. But that doesn't mean that even understanding and tackling all of that, they can just throw consent out the window.

I want to go back to something I said earlier on: this is a game. If someone chooses to take their dog out of the ring for one reason or the other, that's their decision. You don't know that dog anywhere near as well as the owner does, and if they decide running that run isn't what's right for them, why do you even care? Let people play the game the way they want to. Let them enjoy the game they want to. Let them train the way they want to. It isn't harming you and it sure as hell isn't harming the dog.

@theodor98
That's consent though! The dog kept telling her "I don't want to" and she ignored that. The dog was not consenting to the game and constantly told her "no" and she did not take that "no" as an answer.

And, if I had been watching all of this, I would have thought the handler was an ass. I totally get dogs who say, "I don't feel well", and I honor that.

My old dog last ran in a trial just before her 12th birthday. She could still do JWW, but a few weeks before that, she ran NEXT to the dog walk. She wouldn't go on it. I said, "no problem", and she never ran another standard class.

I agree 100% with consent here: she said to me, I can't safely do the dog walk, and I said, I adore you and I don't want you to get hurt or scared, so yeah that's done.

I know people who do not do that, and it makes me bat shit crazy. To me when you know the dog, and the dog blatantly says, "I'm scared or unable", how do you miss that?? That's not even consent, that's basic animal husbandry, that I learned a million years ago, from the old bat that ran the barn where I rode and showed ponies.

I want to go back to something I said earlier on: this is a game. If someone chooses to take their dog out of the ring for one reason or the other, that's their decision. You don't know that dog anywhere near as well as the owner does, and if they decide running that run isn't what's right for them, why do you even care? Let people play the game the way they want to. Let them enjoy the game they want to. Let them train the way they want to. It isn't harming you and it sure as hell isn't harming the dog.

Up to a point: I watch a team here. The owner keeps telling everyone that she's going to pull from trials for awhile and work on the connection with her dog. And then boom, there they are again, back in the ring. And she's on FB talking about how happy she is that her dog consented to go into the ring, even though after that it was a shit show.

This is IMHO and all but if the dog isn't ready to trial, then don't keep pushing boundaries like that. It's a little like this to me. If the dog isn't ready, that's fine, but don't NOT change things and then toss him in and expect that there will be some miracle. It is to me, tantamount to owning a profoundly DA dog, and returning to the dog park, just to see if he's still DA.

Talking about consent, and espousing it, isn't the same as actually being able to see it.

Or not as in some cases. And if the reason why the dog's performance is a shit show, of zooming around the ring, or jumping out of the ring, or leaping on the judge, is that he's stressed and can't tolerate the environment, why do this? Why keep repeating that which you know will end so badly? Obviously it's the owner's choice to spend money as they please, but in a case like this, eventually some real shit show will happen.

@davecb Asking for their consent isn't about being permissive. They're animals and don't get to make many choices.

As they mentioned in the podcast, you don't ask if you're not prepared to honour that 'no'. Ideal execution means there won't be any 'waiting out' because the 'no' indicates a fault in approach, criteria, or sometimes a dog's lack of enjoyment.

So it's up to the handler to decide how to increase engagement without the old go-to of bribing or restricting access to privileges as was/is commonly done.

This is treated as a more finely tuned way to understand why there is underperformance or poor performance as well as building stronger teamwork.