Diarrhea/Vomiting

junkerjorg

Hey guys,

Could anyone with experience chime in?
I have a 5 month old GSD. Three weeks ago, he started having diarrhea daily. He would vomit on occasion (2-3x a week). We took him into the vet. Vet ran a fecal exam and x-ray. Fecal exam came back negative for everything and x-ray showed no obstruction. We then thought it’s a chicken allergy. We cut chicken out of his diet completely. He’s currently on a 95% lean beef, rice, and pumpkin diet. Vet added a probiotic too and nausea meds too. So far, no more nausea but this morning he went out to poop and he’s still having diarrhea. It looks slimy. Please help! I feel defeated and lost. Following everything the vet has suggested to a t but it’s still not working 😞

@junkerjorg I have a 3 yo girl who’s had digestive issues on and off her whole life. She is super sensitive to what she eats. No table scraps and she only has a few treats that don’t cause diarrhea and the only connection is they are gluten free. We added chicken to her kibble as a treat and we don’t give her chicken now. We tried ground beef, and vet said she could be sensitive to even a little fat so we rinsed it out before mixing into food. Last bout of diarrhea we had to put her in Hill’s Gastrointestinal Microbiome permanently. Its hella expensive for a kibble and luckily we’ve found we can cut it 50/50 with Hill’s Large Breed 1-5 yr. Not an clear answer for you, but know there’s others who are working thru this too.

@junkerjorg We had unrelenting diarrhea with ours when he was young. Turned out he has a pancreatic insufficiency, basically doesn't produce a particular enzyme, a very common issue with GSDs. He has probiotics and Vitamin D at every meal. His stool is perfect. If we miss the supplements it's immediately runny.

@lta EPI. My previous GSD had it. Lost 1/3 of his weight before we figured out what was wrong with him. Once he got on medication, he put the weight back on. It was a lifetime of dealing with regular bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. There were many nights of taking him out 4 or 5 times. But otherwise he lived a “full” life until he was 12.

@junkerjorg My girl had this all Summer, just started out of the blue. Finally got her on a hypoallergenic diet and she’s doing much better. We use Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein kibble and canned.

@junkerjorg yup, although rare so young, my pup developev enterprise and it took too long to diagnose. nearly lost him, but even though he became stunted we kept him alive. he is 9 now, and can only eat Hydrolyzed protein dog food. anything else gets in his digestive tract and it's a week or two of bloody bile and diarrhea. stay on it, someone will eventually find out what it is. don't give up. our forever puppy is the best GSD I ever owned, (out of six in my lifetime)

@junkerjorg My GSD is currently recovering from an ulcer that started out with these symptoms before becoming more severe. Nothing showed on the X-ray or blood tests. Only after we tried the medication did it all start to come together.

@junkerjorg My pup was having stomach issues for a while too! Switched her to Purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach and started feeding her probiotics and pumpkin and she’s been fine ever since.

Back