Deshedding blades (loop)?

fallable

This is actually a cat question but I figured dog people would know more about them. I wanted to know what people thought about the metal loop deshedding blades? I usually brush my cats (all short hairs) with a slicker brush which works for one cat but doesn’t really get any fur off the other. Today I bought this deshedding blade and it works AMAZING for her, I’ve never gotten so much fur off and she seems to love it. I just wanted to make sure these types of brushes only remove the shed fur that’s ready to come off and it’s not going to remove fur that isn’t ready? I’d hate to brush her thinking I’m finally removing all that shed fur that’s been stuck and find out it’s somehow cutting off fur. It doesn’t seem sharp and I don’t brush hard, but I still worry I’ll do more harm than good with it. It doesn’t remove a ton of fur from her brother or our younger girl, so I would assume if it were to remove non-shed fur it would do that for all the cats and not just one?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...oZg4jSw56cMO06N-spBoCjkgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

@fallable The most effective way to brush/deshed a cat is with a comb. Depending on if you have a short or long haired cat, you'll want either a comb with short, fine teeth or a comb with staggered teeth. If you Google terms like "fine tooth greyhound comb" "carding comb" "cat comb", you'll find these things.

@mutambo That’s unfortunate. Are the metal loop blades like that known to remove too much fur then? I was really hoping it would be a good option! I do have a slicker brush and a comb (flea comb actually that my vet gave me years ago to help with brushing her) but they never seem to get a ton off her. She grooms a lot so maybe there just isn’t a lot to brush off. I’d rather brush it off than have her throw it up in a hairball though

@fallable They tend to cut coat and damage it. If you do use that tool, I'd limit it to a few minutes a month. I'd also recommend a metal cat comb. The teeth on the flea comb are likely too close together to be effective for what you're going for.

Back