Curious

@wamiti From the akc website "To earn CGC as an official title, dogs must have one of the 3 types of registration: 1) AKC number, 2) Purebred Alternative Listing number (PAL), or 3) AKC Canine Partners number (For mixed-breed dogs)."

So yes, you can perform the CGC test with any dog but you can't register the title.

@kowon Nothing was ever said about registration. The conversation was about testing for temperament. Any dog may take the CGC, not every dog may receive it as a title. My service dog received a certificate of completion, she is spayed and I have no papers on her despite being told she is purebred. I don't give two doges about titles when it comes to her, she simply needed the CGC for public access.

@kowon A side note on this, you also have to be on the registration as an owner to have it as an official title. They kicked it back to me on my 12 yo aussie. (Oh, I think they kept the 20 dollars or what ever it was). I need to double check with his breeder about putting me on as an owner but not sure it really matters.

I could get a real obedience title on him without being an owner, but not a CGC.

@kowon As stated, any dog can get Star Puppy, CGC, and I believe Farm Dog certificates.

To get CGC as title your dog has to be registered in AKC, that has its requirements.

@rose3279 Hey! Lots of people in this sub are anti mixing by default, especially pet dogs (the horror!), so just keep that in mind when you get some responses.

You say his health is excellent, what kind of health testing have you done? What kind of health testing was done on the parents?

This community is pretty small so it's not a great place to find other people who are open to or doing mixed breed companions. That's pretty niche right now.

If you're serious about studding out your dog and have done or are doing health testing, check out Functional Breeding FB group. You might be able to find some breeders who would be interested in using your stud.

Edit: and just FYI because there are a lot of unspoken rules in dogdom and I just want you to be aware. Calling your golden/bernese cross by a name like "golden mountain dog" is going to piss off a lot of people by default :p

@kowon Okay, all good to know. I call him by that name because the community I found him through called him that, my bad.

He's only had thyroid, heart, ear, and eyes on the recommendation of a friend. All of those tests have come back with excellent results. I can get his hips and elbows looked at too. His parents were DNA tested and I can get my hands on that information easily enough.

My thought is in the community of these mixes, I'm seeing more litters with a mixed parent thrown in, and it seems to produce different color mixtures people are fairly stoked on (from what I can tell). Mostly I'm just curious because he's got such a great temperament.

I'm literally only 20% sure I want to do this, which is why I'm poking around.

@rose3279 Imo there is a serious lack of companion dogs with good temperament so I personally think people with healthy dogs with good temperament should be encouraged to breed. But, it should also be done well.

Nice of your friend to help you along to navigate health testing! Hips and elbows definitely should be done. I'd personally go with Pennhip, but OFA might be more accessible depending on where you live.

Unfortunately, I don't have any direct connections for you. I may breed in the future and my 'prospect' is a mix, but a golden/bernese is not what I'd be looking at hahahaha.

But there are a few companion cross breeding programs who may be interested! As some mostly outside of dogdom, connecting with them might be easiest through the FDC.

There's also a bernese outcross project. Because purebred bernese health is pretty awful. And well, so is purebred golden health.

@kowon Ooh I'll have a look at all of that! Thank you!

And I agree! I love Goldens and Bernie's but they do have some pretty difficult health risks, especially the Bernese's I've met.

Back