Crate training Protocol

guk

K so my 7 month old WCS pup is a bit of a handful. I love him but he needs to settle in his crate now which he won't do for more that 20 mins and only if I have completely knackered him out, thus is just not sustainable with my job. I am looking for the best published training program to follow so what has everyone used successfully or not so I know what to do next?

@guk Yeah, working dogs need to be trained to settle otherwise they simply won't, regardless of how much exercise they've had. My wocker is 3.5 months old and he's very go-go-go all the time but he knows crate time is chill, quiet down time and we trained him specifically for that purpose right off the bat.

When you say he won't settle what does that mean exactly? Does he whine/bark? Pace around? Chew the bars? How far is the crate from where you are? Is he asking for attention?

@chrissmith We have been crate training him since the day we brought him home and he has crates in my office and in my living room,l. He is great over night goes in the bedroom crate at midnight and out at 8:30. However He has never been left alone, in his early days he was really unwell, turns out it was a chicken allergy so we let him out the crate so he would poo on the wood floors and he just never wanted to go back in after that. He will pace, cry and paw at the door, even with me in the room where he can see me (but I'm ignoring him) he will be like after after 1hr and of course then you're creating negative associations. We've done games, staged time increases, constant rewards, frozen kongs, covering the crate, half covering the crate, giving him all his meals I the crate, nothing works. Outside he gets 2 x 45 min walks and is in constant training for diabetes alert so he's always doing something, he just will not switch off. Everything else is better, he's fully potty trained, a quick learning but this is driving me round the bend and seriously affecting my work

@guk Oh god, I'm sorry to hear. That sounds really rough and with all the negative build-up I get that it's really hard to train him to want to stay in there.

Susan Garrett's crate games supposedly are the go-to when it comes to crate training and come highly recommended. I haven't used them myself, but if you want a solid program, I figure that would be it. She's got an excellent podcast as well, and her insights have been extremely valuable to me.

You could also try a combination of Kikopup's Capturing Calmness and Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol, modified to fit the crate, of course. If you get the crate closer to where you're working, it'd be relatively easy to drop in a treat at regular intervals and praising calmness. Far as I've read, working dogs have a hard time learning to switch off and learning to relax, so it's something that needs to be trained. Both those options come highly recommended for dogs who don't know how to chill the heck down and they're all about training calmness. Plenty of people in this sub and the dogtraining one will swear by them and they've seen excellent results.

As a third option, you could try long lasting chews. Cow's ears, ostrich bones, etc are all good options. Ostrich bones are particularly good for dogs with food sensitivities, they're absolutely massive and supposedly excellent for cleaning teeth. Chewing also tends to be a relaxing activity for dogs and releases all the happy hormones. I wasn't particularly keen on it when I got them at first because it felt like cheating - ours is fine in the crate but not so much so in his pen, so it's a work in progress - and they made him EXTREMELY wired and excited at first. Slowly, as they became less of a novelty item and more of a regular fixture, they're now a welcome pacifier at the tail end of the day and he's learned to chill out and nom them for a good stretch. If your pup is a relatively easy going or even medium chewer, it'll take him a decent while while to get through it.

Back