CPDT-KA here. Wanted to sum up what goes into R+ training with a reactive dog

petrasophie

I really hope I can post links, since I can’t post the actual video here. It’s a short clip to sum up what goes into turning a reactive dog into a comfortable dog around their triggers.
Often I see a lot of well meaning advice here, but it’s not always accurate. When it comes down to rewiring a dogs brain to respond neutral to a trigger there’s really no quick fix, sorry I wish there was.
Here’s what goes into my training program for reactive dogs.
• Understanding the reasons for the reaction.
• finding the space between the reactive dog and the trigger to keep the dog under threshold.
• understanding trigger stacking and ways to help decompress after stacking or reacting.
• teaching redirection cues such as a focus cue or an emergency u-turn to avoid practicing reacting.
• teaching incompatible behaviors to reacting with games like “go find” or pattern games.
• helping the owner practice being calm and confident while working with their reactive dog.
• rewarding neutral responses using games like LAT(look at that) using engage disengage to help counter condition the dogs emotional response.
• and decreasing distance between the reactive dog and the trigger while having a rewarding experience, linking positive consequences to the presence of a trigger.

The video is provided below. I hope this helps. And please seek out a qualified professional who uses positive reinforcement methods to help walk you through the process.

@petrasophie This is a great video! Thanks for sharing. I agree that a lot of advice I see here inaccurate unfortunately. I can see in the video that your timing is excellent and you are using a whole toolbox of R+ strategies, not just one.

@southernrunner Thank you. And even bigger thank you because none of these people are me, they are my students. So that’s a major compliment. It’s one thing for a professional dog trainer to train with a reactive dog, but it’s an even more complex training people to train their reactive dog. Thank you for that major compliment. :)