Could use some help

breona

I’m considering getting an ACD & I’ve found a really handsome boy with a calm disposition at the local shelter but I’m concerned about the breed’s activity needs. Do y’all really have a spare 2-3hrs a day for dedicated playtime? I work full time, leave around 6am get home around 5pm, I usually work out after work for 45min and then make dinner watch a show/movie and then pass out. So I’ve got like an hour of real free time to focus on the dog but not much more. If I sound like a bad fit for an ACD I’d really appreciate any other breed suggestions, thanks so much for any help, I just want to be a good owner and love my doggo

@breona I wouldn’t recommend an ACD! They are attention whores and ours NEEDS a lot of care and exercise. Without it she’s insufferable, chewing and creating general mayhem. We love her but she’s a high maintenance dog.

As an alternative suggestion, we also have a Whippet, and she is very easy to manage. Happy to sleep and play quietly/gently alone, very calm, doesn’t mind when we leave the house, she’s not destructive by any means. Could be a better fit for your lifestyle.

@breona The reality is you need to set your dog up for success and that means teaching them how to relax, teaching them mental games, and if you have the means, maybe paying for a dog walker or a doggy day care for a couple of times during the week. Things will come up that prevent you and your dog from going out and getting an hour of exercise and that's fine. Your dog has to learn how to deal with these times. And you have to get creative so your dog has some level of stimulation even when you're too busy to spend a ton of time with them. There's tons of cheap and fun ways to engage with your dog that doesn't require intense physical exercise. I hope this helps you with your decision!

@breona Unfortunately I don't really have resources to share because I learned most of what I know by taking my dog to training classes. So I don't really have videos or PDFs to point you to. I'm sure other folks on here do. But that may be a good place to start! Find a trainer who is familiar with cattle dogs that can help you.

@breona I think it depends a bit on the dog and on what your definition of "playtime" is. We have an ACD mix who's about 2 years old. We only walk her 30 min in the morning and 30 min at night for dedicated exercise, but outside of those two walks she still needs constant attention. Not always play time, but we always have to pay attention to her, talk to her, scratch her, hold a toy while she gnaws on the other end, etc. otherwise she gets bored and mad at us. That said, she's normally cool with chilling on the couch with us at night and doesn't always have to be moving.

Ours always wants to keep tabs on us though, so she'd be furious if I was regularly gone for 11 hours and then left again for another hour as soon as I got home. I'm not sure any dog would like that, but our ACD would go nuts.

@breona Honestly, I don’t think a heeler is a good match for you. These dogs thrive in a home with lots of mental and physical stimulation as well as close trust and companionship. If you are seeking a dog to relax with on the sofa after a long day then a heeler is not going to be a good fit. Yes, you could pay somebody else to walk and exercise your dog and drop it off at a doggy day care but why get a heeler if you don’t have the means to spend the time with the dog that the breed needs? I think a low maintenance breed that is low energy would be a better fit for you. I’m not trying to be mean just honest and realistic. My girl REQUIRES a lot of time and attention. She is walked for 35-45 min 2X daily and has herding play games 1X daily. In between she is in relax mode and house guarding mode. I understand this isn’t possible for everyone with work schedules and family stuff but it’s what works for us.

Good luck with your hunt for the right doggo

@breona Thanks for thinking that way. There are tons of heelers ending up in shelters and at animal control because people don’t realize what they’re getting into. One of mine was dumped and then picked up by ac. She was adopted and returned twice, just because she was too much to handle.