Could use some help

breona

I’m considering getting an ACD & I’ve found a really handsome boy with a calm disposition at the local shelter but I’m concerned about the breed’s activity needs. Do y’all really have a spare 2-3hrs a day for dedicated playtime? I work full time, leave around 6am get home around 5pm, I usually work out after work for 45min and then make dinner watch a show/movie and then pass out. So I’ve got like an hour of real free time to focus on the dog but not much more. If I sound like a bad fit for an ACD I’d really appreciate any other breed suggestions, thanks so much for any help, I just want to be a good owner and love my doggo

@breona I wouldn’t recommend an ACD! They are attention whores and ours NEEDS a lot of care and exercise. Without it she’s insufferable, chewing and creating general mayhem. We love her but she’s a high maintenance dog.

As an alternative suggestion, we also have a Whippet, and she is very easy to manage. Happy to sleep and play quietly/gently alone, very calm, doesn’t mind when we leave the house, she’s not destructive by any means. Could be a better fit for your lifestyle.

@breona The reality is you need to set your dog up for success and that means teaching them how to relax, teaching them mental games, and if you have the means, maybe paying for a dog walker or a doggy day care for a couple of times during the week. Things will come up that prevent you and your dog from going out and getting an hour of exercise and that's fine. Your dog has to learn how to deal with these times. And you have to get creative so your dog has some level of stimulation even when you're too busy to spend a ton of time with them. There's tons of cheap and fun ways to engage with your dog that doesn't require intense physical exercise. I hope this helps you with your decision!

Back