Concerns about my pups coat after a grooming fiasco

@peacelovefaith As a groomer of over 10 years that owns a shop, I'm aware of the pain a shave is. However since they were asked to shave the dog just not a #10 hack job I was thinking perhaps they got it a bit choppy or took a extremely noticeable chunk out. I'm sure having shaved a golden before (which I rarely do unless owner insists) that their coat can be tricky to make look nice if inexperienced.

@pixelneko It looks to me like maybe they used a clipper vac and unintentionally went too short. I would definitely call and speak to the groomer as there should either be a good reason for the shave or an apology/refund.

@pixelneko shaving is not dangerous to the coat it will not ruin it. The hair will grow back. Definitely find out where the communication went wrong but the 'shaving a double coated dog ruins their hair' is a total urban legend. Source: groomer of 6 years now going to veterinary school. I've seen double-coated get shaved for surgeries, in weeks the hair matches, and they had it shaved much much shorter than your pup AND skin opened up underneath. Dogs are resilient and coats are meant to grow and regrow. But really if that is what you signed off on with the groomer and thats what they did, they don't owe you a refund. It's a service, not a good. The person who did it can't just get their time/effort back.

@samantham I’ll shave double coated dogs all day if that’s what the customer wants, but you are 100% wrong. It doesn’t happen to every dog, but shaving definitely can cause the hair to grow back patchy and uneven. I’ve seen it with my own eyes dozens of times.

@theinvisibleman30 the only thing that could cause the patchiness if an internal or metabolic issue. if everything is working normally internally, the hair grows back normally. literal scientific studies have been done by DVMs on the topic since the 60s. bUt groomers still rely on anecdotal "well one time i shave a dog and it was weird when it grew back" and allow this misinformation to cycle and panic clients and professionals alike. The bottom line is if this issue with this client was that they OKd a length without fully understanding how short it would be, then the hair will grow back and the groomer can make sure that they don't go that short next time. Everyone involved is OK not needing to demand refunds or storm out of post online that a groomer "ruined their dogs coat" because in fact that did not happen as shaving. doesn't. ruins. coats.

@samantham Shaving a double coated once probably won't damage it, which is why dogs who have their coats shaved cod surgery generally grow back fine. And OPs dogs coat should grow back as well. But multiple shavings of a double coat will DEFINITELY change it. I never say ruin, just change.

I have two double coated mutts who I shave with a 7 because it was either that or lose my mind with the shedding. The first couple times it came back, but now one grows back patchy and the other doesn't really grow back at all.

@green520 i do agree with you there the dogs i see get shaved with like a 7 every 6 months do end up with softer more fragile coats over time. but yeah it still remains a double coat that still protects the dog from the elements so the whole panic it sets clients into where they are screaming at people over the phone that they ruined their dogs coat... I think we as groomers are doing all of ourselves a disservice letting this myth spread so much that is panics everyone who gets something slightly shaved on a double coated dog.

@samantham Agreed. That's why I never say ruin, just change. Plus most dogs are inside 90% of the time anyways, so really being "exposed to the elements" is not the huge danger owners think it is usually.

@pixelneko How old is Dakota?

1st of all, they fucked up. They DEFINITELY SHAVED your dog. I have to argue against shaving. I would not do this.

It opens your pets skin up to infection, removes a vital layer (guard hairs) and takes a bit to grow back.

@pixelneko Find a new groomer. Please do mention this ti your last groomer and request a refund

Never use the word "shave" for your future groom.

If you want some pro advice say I was a sanitary trim, and a shape up around the chest and legs. Definitely clean up the feet, and make Dakota look pretty.

Dakotas hair will grow back. But those guard take a bit, so she might be kinda cottony.

Just dont have her shaved again.

Another word you might use is deshed. Get the dead hairs out with the blow dryer.

And get her groomed every 2 or 3 months from here on out

@pixelneko I need to intercept here, OP, because elle_mactans is pretty much insulting a good majority of groomers. (the downvotes on elle_mactans comments speak for themselves) You're only getting this one groomer's side of the story here. Let's start at the beginning:

Theres hardly any reason to shave a dog that close unless total matting. And this type of coat doesn't get that matted without a tin of neglect. This looks like ignorance and laziness. The ONLY time I've done I'll advised is when a once every 2 year pyr refused to pay the cost for grooming

I can get a good 1 comb under most of my worst doodles.

Elle_mactans, are you implying to OP and any pet owner that reads this thread that any groomer that goes shorter than a #1 comb(it's called a half inch) is "ignorant and lazy"? Aside from 5/8ths(#0 to you), My most popular lengths are 1/2 inch as mentioned and 3/8ths comb(#4 as you'd call it), the latter being similar to a 3 3/4 blade. Do you consider those comb lengths "shaves"? Does this apply to comb attachments specifically #s 2 through 4(and 5 for the newer wahl sets, if you are even using this brand). Or, maybe not comb attachments at all, and only 8 1/2s, 7s, 5s, 4s, and 3 3/4 blades count as shaves to you?

OP, if all these numbers confuse you, then I just gave you a prime example of what makes describing what you want so confusing, and hope it gives you another perspective. One person's definition means something different to someone else, right down to how we refer our blades by length or by number, and at what length is the threshold between short and "shaved". We groomers do not follow a single principle taught under a school, we each have or own principles and style. What happened here is what happens to nearly everyone: the owner has a vision in their head, the groomer has their vision in theirs, and they both think they get what each other is talking about. I doubt it's because the groomer was "lazy", it's because the groomer you went to probably grooms another dog just like yours, and their owner loves that short kind of cut on their double coated dog. They most likely request it every time they come in, like some of my clients do. That doesn't make me or any one else who shaves down dogs at the owner requests wrong except for maybe elle_mactans and some others. Edit: In addition: I advise, like a lot of people have, to try and be as specific and detailed as possible the next time you bring your dog in for a haircut. You can say "I don't want length taken off, just the fluff on the feet and legs(feathering), or anything sticking out taken down to body length, lightly trim tail." Some call that a clean up, some call that "a long trim", some call that "deshed", which I've never heard of before in the 16 years I've been in the industry. Either way, I hope this gives you another perspective to think about and is helpful to you.

@pixelneko I know its def not what you wanted. And on top of that, it was totally unnecessary. But she will grow her hair back. So just let it grow out. YouTube some good at home care in the meantime. She will be ok.

And dont make her feel ugly in the mean time. Twll her how cute and silly she looks and give her all the loves

Back