Choice of food : Weight loss versus allergy suspicions

zedaclaire

Hello r/DogFood! 🐾

I recently adopted a 6-year-old pug from a rescue organization. He is neutered. His previous owners were feeding him Kirkland salmon and sweet potato kibbles, and I was provided with a full bag of this food. However, I'm considering a switch to a more science-backed food.

Given his history with a salmon-based formula, I'm curious if he might have a sensitivity or allergy to chicken or other proteins. Unfortunately, I don't have information about his past, and the rescue organization couldn't provide more details.

The boy is overweight, he has about 5 pounds to lose... Yeah, shocking, an overweight pug. The vet confirmed that an elimination diet is the way for investigating potential allergies. Hills metabolic was also mentioned for the weight issue. Considering accessibility and budget, I'm contemplating Purina Pro Plan, specifically the Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula (wich I find contain important amount of fat) or the Weight Management formula with chicken. I'm however open to more possibilities, and I will definitely feed him prescription food depending on what the vet thinks.

I'm curious if any of you have experienced a similar situation with a dog that has allergies or suspected ones and needs to lose weight. What professional advice did you receive, and what choices did you make? I will of course bring up my questions with the vet before making a change.

Also, I'm wondering if there are significant health risks when introducing a new protein known to be an allergen, besides itchiness or upset stomach. Can a protein allergy have "immediate" fatal consequences? I feel like the priority ''should'' be the weight loss, considering he is a brachycephalic breed. I want to ensure he can breathe as easily as possible. I however fear the consequences of introducing a new protein (which I don't even know for sure would be really new for him, given the fact that I have very little details about his history).

(EDIT) TL;DR : Adopted a 6-year-old pug on Kirkland salmon kibbles, considering a switch due to the fact that he needs to lose weight + not a fan of the brand. Seeking advice on managing unconfirmed allergies and weight loss. Curious about health risks when introducing a new protein.

Any insights or experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated! 🐶❤️

Back