Buyer’s Remorse…

@ezimms29 I agree with keeping it fun so the family is engaged and then more willing to listen. Have the kids teach the dog a trick, learn to play fetch, etc. Figure out the "must" versus "wish" on dog behavior. If no jumping is a must, then have that be your focus. If the dog doesn't leave your backyard, who cares if they know how to heel! You don't need a perfect dog - you need a dog that fits your family's lifestyle.

@laylamendiola I think you need to have a powow with your family and get everyone on the same page. Set the proper command words to be used, the puppys schedule (feeding, sleeping, potty, training, playing, walks..etc), which family member is responsible for whatever the puppy needs, and figure out how committed each member of the family is to keeping and raising the puppy. I think that would be a good staring point before considering rehoming.

@laylamendiola Do local training classes where everyone can attend. And cut her some slack. She’s a baby.

Do no send her to a board and train place again. Using a prong collar on a 4 month old, small mix puppy is insane. But that’s not atypical for board and train unfortunately. You’re incredibly lucky they didn’t permanently damage her.

@laylamendiola No advice on rehoming, just came to share, me and my husband have a puppy and are decently consistent in training. That being said, I’m still clearly my puppy’s “person” and still have a disproportionately higher success rate with commands I give vs my husband. It’s overwhelming. Especially when I’m not up for it and just wish my husband could handle it as easy as I can. But it’s not 100% my husbands fault or the puppy’s.

Back