Bully sticks…yay or nay? Vet says nay after x-rays.

@yellowrosebutterfly We’ve had ours for 2 years! I use 2 different sizes now that she’s bigger. Also it’s super cute watching them use their paws to hold it down while they chew.

My girl is a very heavy chewy and while the holders do have a lot of chew marks on them they still work perfectly.

@radioactive7 My dog likes them but is not obsessed with them. She prefers the dog bones from Tractor supply. I am the only who gives them to her because I am the only one who watches her on this as well.

@brascott I got some water buffalo cheek rolls at tractor supply and my dog really likes those too. The brand was Redbarn.

She gets various types of bones too but I get them from the supermarket

@radioactive7 I don't give my dogs bully sticks, but not due to blockages. They're fully digestible from my knowledge and every vet seems to have a different stance on it. It's weird to say they're bone-like. I don't believe bully sticks have a bone in it. They're literally a penis muscle from a bull.

I don't give mine bully sticks because they don't last long and are absurdly expensive.

I do give rawhides though.

@eront See it's weird, I was always told not to give our dogs rawhide. Just goes to show how everyone gets different advice. We have to do whatever suits our dogs and if rawhide works for you and bully sticks for others then that's the way it should be.

I can't trust mine with anything I think he could swallow at any stage. I swear he unhinged his jaw like a snake once to eat an almost full food recycling bag that we had to get him to throw up at the vets so we have to be extremely vigilant.

@tieutien The rawhide thing is commonplace but, I've never paid it any mind. I've mostly moved to beef cheek chews because they last about a week instead of a few hours.

Back