Building a breed from scratch

@glenninindy The basics of what you are saying does sound like some of what has to happen for a breed to be recognized by a registry (at least the AKC, not sure about FCI or others actually) now days.

Keep in mind that most of the 'breeds' you see and think of as examples were just created by someone saying 'I want this in those dogs' and started mixing in other breeds. There was no health testing, no standard, no record keeping, just mixing together. Not sure what happened to the puppies that didn't match what they wanted but shelters and rescues haven't existed through most of history. But once there was a bunch of dogs running around a group of people liked and wanted to make into a breed they would get together and start tracking pedigrees and if they wanted to be in a registry they would have to come up with a standard.

A lot of your question depends on what you think is good or bad, and what you mean by creating a new breed. This group is doing some of the steps that would be needed to become an AKC recognized breed at some time. But even if they are not interested in AKC the steps would make sense in creating a breed that has some goal.

My answer is yes that work is required to making a new breed, are they making a good breed or not I don't know.

Back