Breeding Question

sweetpotato11

When I got both of my dogs they both were not fixed. Me and my gf have talked about letting them breed and she says no but I'd like to see them have 1 litter.

She has had 4 periods and not until this last one did he get her. We've kept them separated each period pretty well before this. Since he got stuck to her I said fuck it and let them be, he got her 2 more times.

Well now its 60 days later and shes not pregnant. He's 8 and shes 3, any reason why she did not take?

Also were going to be getting her fixed soon since it did not happen, someone recently told me it can be unhealthy for female dogs to not get spayed and can cause issues.

@sweetpotato11 The heat of a bitch is composed by 4 stages. Usually is on day 9th that she is the most fertile and receptive. It could be your dog got her on a stage where she was not receptive anymore. There is certainly risks on females not getting spayed when older. The biggest and most common is pyometra which is a nasty infection of the womb and is fatal if not treated or detected on time. Usually manifestates between 40 to 60 days after the heat. Is common to all sizes and ages but pretty damn common after 8 years and riskier ofc. I think she would be fine as 3 years is pretty young in dog years but go with whatever you and your gf feel more comfortable just remember you will have to compromise into giving the other pups a good home if you decide to keep up with the litter plan.

Back