Breed questions

Hi Breeders!
I figured it would be best to go to the experts.
Our family of 4 l would like to get a puppy in the new year, and would love guidance towards what breeds best suit our family or tips from people who have a similar home to ours.
We have done all the quizzes and have looked throughly though the AKC website, but that can all be so general and we want to be as thoughtful as possible. According to those internet resources the best breed for us is a Cysky Terrier, which I know are rare and my hubby isn’t the biggest fan of their looks. I think they are adorable but smaller than we would like, husband is almost 7ft tall and worried about a dog being underfoot.
Some details about our fam.
- family of four, my husband and I are in our mid 40’s. Kids 9M and 11F.
- I am currently a stay at home mom and will be for another 2 years.
- I am a walker and I would be taking the dog for 2, 40min walk a day other activities would happen but that would be our baseline.
- We have 2, 3 year old Siberian Cats, have shown no fear towards dogs who are constantly by our home while our cats are outside with us. They love watching them go by.
- Due to the cats we prefer starting with a puppy to help with introduction, and will be following Jaxson Galaxy’s rules for puppy introduction to cats.
- Based in northern NJ, USA, we travel to VA multiple times a year so pup would be in the car with us for trips.
- We live in what I call Urban Suburbs, homes close together with small lots, huge walking community, lots of parks that are easy to walk too. We have a small back yard, corner lot, currently not fully fenced, we do plan on electric fence but do not plan on having dog outside unattended (will be leashed as well, due to frequent foot traffic of neighborhood walkers). Since we are a corner lot we cannot have a fence higher than 4ft, but open to getting one.
- We would be first time dog owners, (had a sheepdog when I was a baby so don’t really count that) I worked at a vet for a few years so I am familiar, and have cared for friends dogs. I have trained our cats for certain behaviors but have yet to train dogs, but I enjoy training but we would get a professional to help get us on the right track.
- Dog breed/traits I’m not a fan of, would like to avoid breeds that drool, and breeds that have high shedding/short fur.
- I do not want a “doodle” and want to avoid any breed like Pitbulls, Bully, pugs, bulldogs.(basically short nosed breeds and breeds that have a prey drive) also not into toy breeds like Shitzu, chihuahuas, Pomeranian…etc.
- Not into highly active breeds we are not a highly active family or have a backyard that would give that dog huge freedom of movement would just be unfair for the dog.
- Ideally medium sized breed but flexible here. St.Bernard’s are also recommended for our fam but they drool and don’t want to deal with large dog poop and large dog upcharges, but love their personalities. Love the idea of a big dog (so could be easily convinced).
- I understand all dogs shed, we have plenty of cat fur action in the home and do not want to add much more to the mix.
- No dog allergies.
- Prefer east coast-ish breeders. Want to pick up via car.
- Dog will be insured & chipped and be groomed regularly.

Sorry for the long post but really appreciate input and advice. We are long time cat owners and are very committed to being responsible dog parents as well.

@recuerdo Here's a link to a Questionaire that people in r/dogs will respond with breed recommendations (not computer generated responses). https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/comments/4qc6lb/meta\_breed\_questionnaire\_updated\_june\_2016

Here's a link to what to look for in a breeders and how to find a great breeder: /https://www.reddit.com/r/dogs/wiki/identifying_a_responsible_breeder/ It's not this is the wrong place to post this but you will have a better response in r/dogs as it has a lot more members and also much more active than this sub.

@thedancingbaptist Whatever breeds you end up looking at, also look into what a reputable ethical breeder is. Learn the difference between a show line bred and a working line bred dog. Then whatever breed you settle on, look at the breed club. Look into any health conditions the dog breed is commonly known for. (Dobermans and DCM, Golden Retriever and cancer, Dalmatian and urinary tract crystals etc) Getting a dog from a reputable breeder very greatly reduces the probability of health issues but not completely eliminates it.

Look into companion breeds, stay away from deceptively "calm" breeds like some Spaniels or dogs like Dachshunds. Many dogs were bred to work and do more than they appear, and may need much more than the exercise you state you can provide. You're right, those quizzes you've been taking and information found online is extremely vague and not entirely accurate compared to first hand breed experiences. Spend time in the subreddits of different breeds talking to their owners to see how their dogs are.

@justjem Thank you so much for your thoughtful answer. Ethical
breeders are key for us, we did similar research before getting our Siberian cats so I am familiar with the vetting process, it’s also one of the reasons we will not go down the doodle route.

@thedancingbaptist Thank GOD you don't want a doodle, it seems your research is already paying off lol. It seems you've already gotten some good suggestions, so I'll list a few breeds to avoid.

Huskies, malamutes, sighthounds, and terriers all are pretty notorious for having a high prey drive. Even if raised with cats, it's not a chance a first time owner should take. Herding breeds such as border collies, Australian Shepherds, German Shepherds, etc are all pretty high energy as they're bred to work, and even long daily walks isn't enough to stimulate them.

When looking into some of the suggestions, such as retrievers or spaniels, I'd reccomend leaning towards show like breeders. Field line gun dogs are bred to work, and similar to herding breeds, they need enough mental stimulation and exercise to keep them happy. Often times, they have a bit of a higher prey drive, too. If you find a breeder you end up liking, they can also help field any questions and determine if the breed is the right fit. Good luck!

@thedancingbaptist Definitely look into spaniels as mentioned. I think a boxer could also be a good fit. They do need a good two hours of exercise a day as adults but between the walks and the kids I think you’ll be fine.

My cousin had boxers and I don’t remember them being particularly drooly or high shedding. While they do have a short snout, a good breeder won’t breed animals with severe breathing issues. Boxers also don’t have the issues a pug or English bulldog has, in my experience.

I would strongly encourage you to get a physical fence. Electric fences are great for dogs that will respect them, however, many dogs are smart enough to figure out how it works and get over the quick zap fast. My vet recommends against them.

@thedancingbaptist The reason to be is usually easy to train, good with family and kind of usually good with anything chill okay out sure. They are prone to separation anxiety so you would have ti nip that in the but

@thedancingbaptist Get a lab! Two 40 minute walks a day, plus some tossed tennis balls, and my lab sleeps like a cat. She is a smaller sized lab (60 #) and she gets along very well with cats, kids, and other dogs. She does shed, but the Dyson animal works like a dream...

@thedancingbaptist Get a bench line Lab. Do not go for a field line Lab. Highly recommend emailing the breed club for your state and asking for them to point you in the direction of a breeder that has dogs on the lower energy/lower drive. Also it's fairly easy to get a retired breeding dog/failed show dog that is good with cats

@thedancingbaptist A few breeds to research further: English Springer Spaniel, Irish Setter, Shetland Sheepdog, Greyhound. None of these are super low energy breeds, but neither are they psychotically high energy, especially if they get appropriate exercise. Since you are new owners, I would suggest prioritizing easy-going (i.e. easier to train) over some of your other desires, like "no shedding." Also make sure to find a good puppy class in your area. Not only does it help you teach your puppy good manners, but it's a great bonding experience.

Back