Breed Popularity

jenfer

I’ve been reading this sub for a while, before and since getting our 6 month old little bubba.

We’re based in the U.K and have a 3/4 English cocker, 1/4 springer spaniel mix.
In the very close vicinity where we live, there are 3 cockers, a springer & 2 cockapoos. My brother & friends of ours have cockerpoos & my parents have a rescue show cocker.
If we go slightly further afield, we always bump into numerous out and about.

From reading this sub (which I think is more US heavy from some of the word usage), I’be been noticing that there are rarely any posts about spaniels.

I’d be interested to know how breed popularity varies on a country/area basis, for curiosity’s sake.

I’ll start (from my experience)

SE England - Cocker spaniels (& crosses), French Bulldogs, Labradors, Staffordshire Bull Terrier

@bandarbo USA, PNW, west of the cascades: lots and lots of pitbulls and bully breeds/mixes and labs. A healthy chunk of herding breeds too, mainly corgis, aussies, and cattle dogs.

@jenfer I think a lot depends on nearby breeders. I live in Oxford and for some reason I see loads of Italian spinones. As I've not seen them anywhere else ive lived I'm assuming there's a breeder local.

@jenfer It's different even in different regions. I grew up in Cumbria where it seems everyone has a border collie, a German shepherd, a retriever or a bully dog of one kind or another. Rarely saw small dogs growing up.

I then moved to Manchester, where everyone has a cockapoo, terrier or spaniel mix, or toy dogs in the city centre. I was surprised to see more collies than I was expecting - I wouldn't like to try and manage a border collie in a city!

Now in Yorkshire where there are surprisingly few whippets 😏 but lots of border collies and German shepherds, and spaniels (usually the working type). Very few labradors - not sure I've even seen one yet. There are also bully types that seem confined to the council estate somehow - out of every dog type it seems like bully dogs are the most 'class based' dog.

I think it's probably to do with lifestyle. If you're in a busier area with less green space and fewer hills a smaller breed makes more sense. If you're in the hills with lots of space a bigger dog makes sense.

So quite a few of the USA residents are saying rescue mixes which surprises me. Most people I know really struggle to be accepted by rescue centres in the U.K. Is it easy to get a rescue pup there?

All my local shelters rejected us as we are thinking of having kids at some point & I work in London one day a week.

@jenfer Going to a rescue that focuses on specific breeds can be difficult, but so many shelters in the US are overflowing and will sometimes waive adoption fees if the shelter is too full!

@tadhg Ours just seem to have insane criteria that I can’t see most people meeting.
  • do you have people over to your house? Yes, sorry no dog.
  • will you ever leave your dog alone? Even for ten minutes? Yes, sorry no dog.
I understand that certain dogs have a history where these requirements are needed but it’s starting to feel like they now apply the rules across the board and then demonise anyone who dares buy a puppy after they’ve been rejected.

@jenfer I think most of this is people going online and getting scared off by application forms or applying for a specific dog at the most popular rescue on google and then not following up. All the rescues are running at 1/2 or less capacity because of covid and only being able to have so many volunteers at a time while getting more emails and messages than ever before. Usually they can only upload a few or update their website less frequently than they would like and it doesn’t reflect the actual dogs they have.

Usually the best thing to do is look at the smaller rescues in your area or foster groups and fill out applications with as much detail as possible asking to be matched up with a dog. The biggest hassle for rescues is needing to try and get a home for a dog quickly so they can get another one in and it needs to happen as fast as possible but there’s never notice that you are getting the dog. If you reach out and actually communicate and then wait they can pre screen you and when a dog comes in that suits you they will match you up straight away.

Rescues Not adopting to homes without gardens or people that come over or people who are out is a myth. It’s based on the specific dogs needs and also making sure the person is actually ready for a dog. All rescue dogs need some time at least while they adjust where they will have supervision and not have strangers coming in and out. Puppies you buy from breeders need FAR more but they don’t emphasise that and won’t prepare you the same way a rescue will because they are motivated by profit.

The reason why they “demonize” people for buying puppies after being rejected is because these same puppies end up in the rescue when the unprepared pet owner who bought them can’t handle them anymore. Rescue dogs already have had a lot of moving around so they want to do their best to make sure the dog will not be cycling back again for the dogs sake.

No rescue would ask you to never leave a dog alone because that causes the dog to develop separation anxiety which is hugely detrimental to their quality of life. All good rescues recommend proactively building up time away from the dog even if you have nowhere to go so they won’t be scared when you do have to go somewhere or they have to go somewhere without you (like the vet).

All of the questions asked are things any prospective pet owner and ESPECIALLY puppy buyer should be considering BEFORE bringing a dog into their home. Getting a dog is a commitment for 12 years at least. Waiting weeks or months to find the right dog in the right rescue shouldn’t be a problem because you are choosing a commitment for over a decade to share your life and home with. Even when buying a puppy the same applies. You SHOULDNT buy a puppy that you can pick up the next day because that’s a huge red flag. A reputable breeder will have a waiting list and people will be waiting for the next litter which can take LONGER than adopting from a rescue. If you are spending close to 1000 or more on a puppy you should be prepared to talk with the breeder, meet the parents, see where they live, see the puppies with the mother, and THEN wait weeks for the pup to get old enough to safely leave their mother. Right now with the astronomical increase in puppy sales you can guarantee that any sale that skips these steps is either a puppy mill or a very questionable back yard breeder and should be raising red flags.

@jenfer South West Scotland - tons of labs, cockers, springers, doodles of every kind, border collies (that’s what my dog is). Also quite a lot french bulldogs and pugs, and generic small white fluffies.