Blades ruined by sharpener

izaya

TL;DR at the end. This guy, Henry, from Henry's Professional Blade Sharpening has sharpened my equipment twice. The first time it was just 2 blades, and everything seemed fine. I recently had them sharpened for the second time and all 7 blades are ruined. They're sharp, but all of them drag. Like won't cut a single hair dragging. I have tried; cleaning them (several times with different techniques even), oiled them, changed blade drive on all three of my clippers, and had another (recommended from a long time groomer/friend) sharpener look at them. Nothing helped. Have you guys ever experienced anything like this??? I called and asked him to come take a look, he said okay. He never came, so I called him the next day and asked if he had time. He told me it was over 30 days since he serviced my equipment and he won't reservice after so many days. How would I groom for 30 days with 7 faulty blades?! I told I want a refund and he called me "a f*#@ing liar" and hung up. I'd really appreciate any suggestions about how to fix my blades. Please don't hit me with, "i wOuLD NeVEr LeT JuST anYonE sHArpEn MY StuFF," or threaten him with a lawyer. I'm just interested in fixing my blades. 😰

TL;DR, guy sharpened my blades, they're sharp but only drag. Cleaned, oiled, and new blade drives - still drag. I would love some suggestions on how to fix the blades.

Bonus: this guy is from the Greenville/Anderson SC area. I will give anyone in this area his information so y'all can avoid him.

@izaya Yeah, unfortunately some sharpeners aren't very good. I've had a few of my blades ruined that way, but never all of the blades I brought to a sharpener. In the instances where a blade was ruined there was only one time where they were able to resharpen it to fix the blade, the others had to be trashed and I bought new ones. Unfortunately the sharpener you used doesn't sound like the type to reimburse you for the blades, but I guess it's worth a shot? It sounds like you're going to need to buy a whole new set. I'm sorry this happened :(.

@izaya The GEM (Groomer Equipment Maintenance) group on facebook has a map with reputable sharpeners for grooming equipment. Many allow you to mail your stuff to them and they send it back to you, so they dont need to be nearby.

You will probably need new blades, I hear AGS (Affordable Grooming Shears) sells good stuff. Lately all the Andis and Wahl blades ive bought have been duds out of the package, even after having them sharpened/serviced.

@izaya Go to www.northerntails.com. A master certified sharpener does blade sharpening by mail for groomers around the world. He has many handouts you can download, what an education. Remember hairstyling for people tools are different than grooming tools. You sharpen them differently. I learned about him on GroomerTALK radio on this show https://www.blogtalkradio.com/groom...intenance-with-jeff-andrews-of-northern-tails

You can listen to dozens of past shows. Wealth of info free. I put them while I surf web. https://petgroomer.com/radio/

@izaya I second the recommendation for Jeff at Northern Tails. I not only exclusively let them handle my stuff, I have bought some of his shears and been very happy. I learned my lesson straying and will remain a loyal NT customer.

@ldd I did end up contacting Northern Tails! I just sent them yesterday, so I haven't had the full experience yet, BUT! The woman who answered the phone was so helpful and she knew exactly what was wrong just by asking two questions! Thank you so much for sending me their way!

@izaya Even good sharpeners make mistakes. But most sharpeners I've tried have been awful. There's three sharpeners near us and two of them have ruined blades. It's bad enough that I offered to pay for one of my groomers who was interested in opening a sharpening business to start her own business with a very low interest loan; she got a great deal on a used mobile van instead.

Back