Best options for dog food

robrandazzo

I just recently got a puppy, she was almost 6 weeks old, and now she’s 8 weeks old. I started her on Hills Science Diet Puppy, but I’ve been hearing that Hills isn’t the WORST option but I’m definitely paying more than what I’m getting. I’ve been recommended Open Farm which is super expensive, but if it’s worth it I’ll pay it. Along with Merrick and Ultimates by Propac. What is the best option for my pup? She’s a blue heeler/dutch shepard.

@robrandazzo My vet told me to stay with the big brands that have a ton of research behind them. Hills Science Diet, Purina Pro Plan, Royal Canin, and Eukanuba are all good.

She also told us a few years back to not feed our dogs “grain-free” foods. There is data linking these foods with heart issues later. The research is early, but best to be safe and wait and see.

We feed our dogs Purina Pro Plan kibble and supplement with green beans, carrots, eggs, etc for treats.

@robrandazzo Science Diet is a very good food. I will say that you have a very high octane puppy though! I have always kept my Belgian Shepherds (very closely related to Dutchies) on Purina ProPlan because it is high calorie. Young energetic herding dogs can be hard to keep weight on and sometimes are too excited about life to worry about little things like breakfast. I’d personally suggest ProPlan puppy and if she starts to get too lean as an adolescent (6 months on) switch to ProPlan puppy sport. As a bonus Pro Plan is less expensive then Science Diet.

@robrandazzo Don't get into the internet hype. If your pup is doing good on Hills and it's affordable for you to buy, then by all means feed it. Hills has a good reputation and has been around for a long time. Plus they've done tons of nutritional research so they know what they are doing.

@robrandazzo None of the other food brands you mentioned meet WSAVA guidelines, while Hills Science Diet does. I personally won’t feel my dog anything that doesn’t meet WSAVA guidelines because those guidelines mean that extensive research has been done on those brands and they have a nutritionist on staff.

If those other brands were so much better, than how come they haven’t done the research to prove it?

I recommend sticking to Hills! Good luck with your new pup!

@robrandazzo Money spent != Quality food.

Long as you stay with the big 5(Purina, Hills Science, Iams, Eukanuba, and Royal Canine) you’re fine. If you were trying to go budget then iams or Purina One/dog chow would be the alternative.

Downvoted for providing options that meet AAFCO and follows WSAVA guidelines; yikes bro. Yikes.

@robrandazzo “Boutique” dogfood is hella expensive and doesn’t meet the acceptable guidelines, so try not to get caught up in the hype about it being superior in some way bc it’s not. We feed PPP and it must be pretty good bc we have 3 healthy dogs, 1 of which is 17 years old and in great shape with lots of spunk!

@robrandazzo My dog was on Hills Science. My vet recommended it. I would’ve kept him on it if he didn’t stop eating it! I switched to Purina Pro Plan and he likes it better, and it’s more affordable.

Back