Are salmon and cod too similar of proteins?

sanders1031

Hi I have a 8 month recently spayed Cavapoo. She has always had soft poop and hasn’t tested positive for giardia since she was like 2 months old.

She was on PPP puppy salmon and rice for the first 4/5 ish months give or take a few weeks to try Farmina ancestral grain chicken. (She is allergic) She is on Farmina mini puppy grain and lamb but her poops could be better and she doesn’t seemed thrilled to eat it like she did the salmon.

I want to switch her to the JustFoodforDogs DIY cod and sweet potato meals. But I want to make sure salmon and cod are different enough that she doesn’t develop an allergy to fish.

@sanders1031 My dog had the same issues. She does great on just food for dogs but it’s so expensive. I found a kibble called canine caviar that is hypoallergenic and she does great on it. Firm poops

@sanders1031 I have a 6 month old Cavapoo who I have been rotating through the Farmina ancestral grain chicken and lamb puppy formulas and I'm now transitioning her to PPP puppy salmon and rice. Just my anedoctal experience - my pup has done well on Farmina with consistently firm poops that aren't that stinky (?). I have noticed that since Farmina's kibble is on the higher end of the recommended protein range for growing puppies (source: Small Animal Clinical Nutrition), my pup does best on Farmina's kibble alone with an added probiotic (Farmina only adds prebiotics, not probiotics). Adding any toppers just puts protein on top of protein (more is not better) and then her poops will be a mess.

In terms of whether salmon and cod are different enough so that your pup doesn't develop an allergy to fish, it's probably best to consult your vet on this one. Generally speaking though, salmon is richer, higher in calories and fat than cod.

Back