Are harnesses good??

musha

Okok so I use a harness with my puppy cause obviously he pulls on the leash (slowly training him not to) and he’s a shihtzu with a. Tiny neck and I’d rather not have him injury himself but I posted a video about him walking and a few people commented that harnesses are bad for dogs cause it teaches them to pull and u shouldn’t use them unless u r using them for a pulling purpose like she’d dogs???? And we’re saying I should be using a prong collar??

@musha No not on a small dog. Harness only. Collapsed trachea is way too common in small breeds.

You can also get a harness with a front clip that redirects them to not pull.

@outbackhatter My mother’s Silky Terrier died from a collapsing trachea, caused by pulling on her collar. We learned the hard way. For the past 30 years all of my dogs wear harnesses.

@ghy1221 I lost my first Schipperke to it. She had a predisposition to it, and got kennel cough before we got her and that supposedly led to it. We had her two weeks and she spent the 9 years with it, led to congestive heart failure. I held her when she crossed the bridge. It killed me. She was only 13. My second, who was always on a harness, started showing signs of it later and I got so upset. She didn't pass from it.

@ghy1221 That is so awful, my vet thought maybe my Thor boy has that but I don’t think he does Bc I’ve never put anything around his neck ever. He reverse sneezes tho

@outbackhatter That’s not really something I’d stress about, just never put him in a collar. When I first found out about this because my dog started honk coughing I switched both to harnesses and it didn’t worsen. And the inflammation she had reduced so she didn’t cough anymore. But you really don’t want to be in a mitigation path.

@outbackhatter Jumping in to say the front attaching harnesses are good! They're not perfect, dogs will still pull with them, but I have one and if I clip the lead onto the back attachment there is a noticeable difference in her pulling.

@sarzy21 Was looking it up, looks like even for bigger dogs it can happen with a prong collar. I used that for training on my last border collie, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again with my current BC pup. She’s in a harness and flat collar in the house when I know she won’t be pulling me around.

Back