Apartment Dog

cbole

Hi, I know these posts inundate here..but mine is slightly unique. I live in a city and want a dog…I have a wife, two younger kids (9 and 6) and while I have a 7-7 job, I have both a nanny and the resources to hire a dog walker as needed (and someone to help train, etc). My apartment is reasonably big (2500 sf) with with long hallways that provide decent space for a dog to run. I live reasonably close to a park with a dedicated dog area. I also have a house out of the city with decent land (3/4 acres) that spent about half my weekends during the spring and summer. I’d like a medium to large size dog that’s good with kids, reasonably easy to train but doesn’t need to be walked or run hours a day. Given the house out of the city the dog would also have to be ok in a car for w hours or so.

I grew up with standard poodles so am naturally attracted to those mixed breeds like a sheepadoodle, bernadoodle, etc but I’m not sure if that’s cruel given the lack of a conventional yard most days. I helped train my families puppies when I was a teen, but that was a long time ago, so I’d effectively be a first time dog owner.

Any advice, suggestions, adminishment is welcome! Thank you

@cbole Hello city friend! Fellow urban dog lover so hope I can help :)
Your apartment and family sound lovely! Sounds like a great home for a pup :)
I will say the bigger the dog, the more exercise and walks they’ll probably need so just make sure that the dog breed you settle on meets your abilities. Bernadoodle can get HUGE. Consider the size not just for time and energy but depending on who is going to walk them. Id consider what type of mix you’re looking for when considering temperament - something like a cavalier - poodle will probably be calmer than a cockapoo. Once they mix there’s no guarantee on how small or big they’ll get, so just assume the largest possibility to keep expectations realistic.
That’s so great your looking at doodles! I love my doodle (Pomeranian and poodle supposedly). Hes great with people of all ages and other dogs which is awesome. They’re only 20lbs and he can walk for up to 10 miles at a time. He gets at least 2 hours a day. If it’s raining he def won’t go as far, but he LOVES the cold. So this is year round. He doesn’t like the dog park at all, never has. So all outside time he gets is time with us. I don’t mean to be animate or scare you away, I just see these people around the city a lot that walk their huge dog up and down the block…, and can barely control them. It seems rough! I’ve also lived near people like that and omg… those dogs would cry and bark for houuuurs straight, it seemed cruel. Poor pup was bored out of its mind. I know you’re saying you can get help so I’m sure this wouldn’t be the scenario you’re setting yourself up for, it just makes me sad when I see it 😞
I really hope this helps!! Wishing you luck in your puppy hunt ☺️

Btw the “dogs” channel has a great questionnaire if you’re considering getting a pup :) I think it might help!

@cbole I'm in nyc as well. I have a goldendoodle that is 30 lbs at 1 yr 1 month. She is a perfect size for my apt which is about 1600 Sq ft. The wife loves the dog and no kids yet.

@cbole She is considered medium or mini. She came litter trained so I only walk her for exercise. 30 mins in the morning. Might get her used to the treadmill today.